Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
LG_Frig_Dispenser_Problem  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 4:03:40 PM(UTC)
LG_Frig_Dispenser_Problem

Groups: Registered

Re: LG LSC27910TT Frig. It no longer dispenses ice or water and the small incandescent light in the dispensing area does not light up or stay on. No sound when the dispenser switch is actuated. Ice maker creates and dumps ice normally into the ice drawer. Water filter has been replaced recently. Wires in door wiring harness seem good.

This problem began initially while dispensing ice. A couple days before the dispenser stopped working I believe the unit would not switch to crushed ice from cubed or vica versa but otherwise dispenser appeared to work normally. Then It just suddenly stopped and would not work again.

Initially replaced the dispenser control board based on a recommendation. This fixed nothing.

I have replaced the main control board (6871JB1410N) twice now.

Each time after replacing the main board we began using the water dispenser and it worked dispensing water for several days until we tried using the ice dispenser.

However, the first time the ice dispenser was used the dispenser stopped dispensing water or ice and the light again ceased turning on. Again no sound. This happened with both replacement boards.

It seems likely that something is causing the main board to fail. Need to find the culprit before try replacing the main board again.

1. What parts are the likely culprits? Ice Solenoid?
Auger motor? Other part?

3. What part is likely failing on the main board when this happens? Solenoid Relay? Auger Relay?, Controller Chip?, Capacitor on the board?

I have a feeling there are others out there with this problem and if we can solve it then it will help others going forwared. Regardless, any help or insights will be much appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

lrcrist  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 13, 2014 4:43:33 AM(UTC)
lrcrist

My LG refrigerator had exactly the same symptoms except there was the smell of melted plastic when it stopped working. The solenoid that controls whether the ice is crushed or whole is the culprit in my case. This solenoid on my unit was completely melted. The smell of burned plastic was what lead me to find the solenoid in the first place. I expect your unit burns out the motherboard every time you select cubed ice (what enables the solenoid). Interestingly, when I was fishing around the freezer trying determine what had melted I was shocked. I had touched what should have been the grounded outside housing of the solenoid (my first clue). Unplugging the frig, should have done this first, and pulling out the solenoid I discovered it was melted. I plugged the frig back in and even though the solenoid was unhooked now the water and ice still did not work. After much research, voltage measurements and reviewing the repair manual I found out what the melted solenoid had done to my frig. It blew off two traces on the main control board. You can easily check this by unplugging the unit, removing the 4 screws on top of the refrigerator, pushing the 4 plastic tabs on the outside of the control board housing and lifting it up slightly. The MB housing is designed to allow you to lift it up to about a 45 degree angle. On my unit there was a burnt mark (and burnt plastic smell) on the plastic underneath the MB towards the middle of the refrigerator. That is where the first trace was burned off. This trace is the ground to the blown solenoid (why it shocked me). I also found a second trace (alternate ground) blown off as well. The traces are repairable but the safest bet is a new MB and of course a new solenoid on this site.
valery76  
#3 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2016 10:10:24 PM(UTC)
valery76

Originally Posted by: LG_Frig_Dispenser_Problem Go to Quoted Post
Re: LG LSC27910TT Frig. It no longer dispenses ice or water and the small incandescent light in the dispensing area does not light up or stay on. No sound when the dispenser switch is actuated. Ice maker creates and dumps ice normally into the ice drawer. Water filter has been replaced recently. Wires in door wiring harness seem good.

This problem began initially while dispensing ice. A couple days before the dispenser stopped working I believe the unit would not switch to crushed ice from cubed or vica versa but otherwise dispenser appeared to work normally. Then It just suddenly stopped and would not work again.

Initially replaced the dispenser control board based on a recommendation. This fixed nothing.

I have replaced the main control board (6871JB1410N) twice now.

Each time after replacing the main board we began using the water dispenser and it worked dispensing water for several days until we tried using the ice dispenser.

However, the first time the ice dispenser was used the dispenser stopped dispensing water or ice and the light again ceased turning on. Again no sound. This happened with both replacement boards.

It seems likely that something is causing the main board to fail. Need to find the culprit before try replacing the main board again.

1. What parts are the likely culprits? Ice Solenoid?
Auger motor? Other part?

3. What part is likely failing on the main board when this happens? Solenoid Relay? Auger Relay?, Controller Chip?, Capacitor on the board?

I have a feeling there are others out there with this problem and if we can solve it then it will help others going forwared. Regardless, any help or insights will be much appreciated.

I got the same problem, same fridge. Were you able to figure out what happened?
valery76  
#4 Posted : Monday, August 8, 2016 10:12:47 PM(UTC)
valery76

Originally Posted by: lrcrist Go to Quoted Post
My LG refrigerator had exactly the same symptoms except there was the smell of melted plastic when it stopped working. The solenoid that controls whether the ice is crushed or whole is the culprit in my case. This solenoid on my unit was completely melted. The smell of burned plastic was what lead me to find the solenoid in the first place. I expect your unit burns out the motherboard every time you select cubed ice (what enables the solenoid). Interestingly, when I was fishing around the freezer trying determine what had melted I was shocked. I had touched what should have been the grounded outside housing of the solenoid (my first clue). Unplugging the frig, should have done this first, and pulling out the solenoid I discovered it was melted. I plugged the frig back in and even though the solenoid was unhooked now the water and ice still did not work. After much research, voltage measurements and reviewing the repair manual I found out what the melted solenoid had done to my frig. It blew off two traces on the main control board. You can easily check this by unplugging the unit, removing the 4 screws on top of the refrigerator, pushing the 4 plastic tabs on the outside of the control board housing and lifting it up slightly. The MB housing is designed to allow you to lift it up to about a 45 degree angle. On my unit there was a burnt mark (and burnt plastic smell) on the plastic underneath the MB towards the middle of the refrigerator. That is where the first trace was burned off. This trace is the ground to the blown solenoid (why it shocked me). I also found a second trace (alternate ground) blown off as well. The traces are repairable but the safest bet is a new MB and of course a new solenoid on this site.

I got the same problem, same fridge. Were you able to figure this out?
did you have to replace solenoid as well as another board?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply