Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tmv1962  
#1 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 4:25:19 PM(UTC)
tmv1962

Groups: Registered

[FONT=&quot]OK, girlfriend moves in with washing machine. I wonder why she sometimes runs to laundry room when doing a load.
She say's since day one of purchase the machine does not go into spin cycle. So next time it does it I want to see what is going on.
The motor is humming but not turning.....
If I lift the lid the machine shuts off and clunks like going into gear, close lid and the machine will spin as it should.
Same happens when pushing knob and turning off.
This does not happen every time, and can be at first or second rinse.
So question is? What could it be if only doing intermittently? Clutch slipping sometimes? Anything else I should look for? How will I know if clutch is bad?
I am not a novice handyman....My washer ( I got rid of when she moved in) was 32 years old and had done multiple repairs over the years and still running today.
Thanks,
Tom

[/FONT]
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Thursday, December 19, 2013 5:52:56 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
This washer has a neutral drain function. After agitation stops, the washer will drain for a full 2 minutes regardless of how long it actually takes to drain the water. The washer will not spin during this initial drain period. Then the motor will pause for a few seconds which causes the gearcase to shift out of neutral, then motor starts again at which point it should start spinning while continuing to drain. Monitor the washer after the agitation cycle. If the motor does not pause after the 2 minute drain period, it won't shift out of neutral and will just continue to drain without spinning. If there is no pause, the timer is faulty. You are pausing the motor when you open/close the lid or cycle timer knob off/on. If the motor does in fact pause after drain but still won't spin when it starts again, you need to remove the cabinet and jump out the lid switch so you can observe the clutch hub to determine where the problem is.

Eric
tmv1962  
#3 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 3:58:23 AM(UTC)
tmv1962

Thanks Eric,
Make's sense to me, I will investigate this tonight and get back to you then.
Tom
tmv1962  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 4:02:42 AM(UTC)
tmv1962

Eric?
I have not taken cabinet off this yet....But am curious to what switches transmission? Solenoid?
Tom
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 20, 2013 4:35:45 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
No, it's purely mechanical (other than the motor pause) and all inside the gearcase. It's done by the interaction between a trip lever, latch, spin pawl and cam between the spin gear and main drive gear. The spin pawl and latch get set into a certain position during the first few seconds of agitation when the motor is spinning CCW (as viewed from pump side of motor). When the washer goes into drain, the motor direction is reversed, now going CW. The latch is a weighted device and the centrifugal force on it when motor starts in CW direction causes it to hook onto the cam which prevents the spin pawl from engaging the spin gear. When the motor pauses after drain the latch swings away from the cam so that when it starts again the latch does not engage the cam, the spin pawl moves off the cam and engages the spin gear. One thing that can make this operation not function properly is if the washer is in a cold area such as an unheated basement. The oil in the gearcase is SAE 60 weight and if too viscous due to the cold, can cause the latch to not work properly. Normal wear on these parts can also cause problems with the neutral drain. The gearcase is fully serviceable though and parts are readily available for it.

Eric
biglion6613  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 22, 2017 9:53:27 PM(UTC)
biglion6613

Originally Posted by: tmv1962 Go to Quoted Post
Eric?
I have not taken cabinet off this yet....But am curious to what switches transmission? Solenoid?
Tom

Just curious if you had solved this issue from a few years back? After months of searching you're the first person I've found that describes the same as my predicament. I'm just curious if I do take apart the gear case what I would be looking for? Any help is appreciated. Thanx. - Eric

My Scenario:

10 year old Whirlpool Ultimate care ii lsw9750pw3

Fills up, agitates, and drains just fine.

On occasion the high spin cycle does not engage.
You can hear a humming when it should be spinning but it isn’t.

Sometimes, if you lift the lid up a louder “Clank” sound will happen, then I close the lid, and then the spinning will actually start.

Sometimes that doesn’t work and I will manually move the drum around in any random direction and close the lid and it may start up.

Sometimes I do a load and it just seems to run just fine throughout all of the cycles.

It might seem more problematic with larger, heavier loads but it’s hard to tell and not super consistent.

Things I’ve checked and replaced.

1st - drive block - was fine
2nd - coupler - was fine
and last night I replaced the Clutch which I really had my fingers crossed was the issue but doesn't seem to have curbed the issue.

So now I’m hoping any one else might have some input? Please help?

Is it the lid switch? A timer issue? transmission?

Thanks for reading. - E
rorita  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 30, 2017 9:44:29 AM(UTC)
rorita

Originally Posted by: biglion6613 Go to Quoted Post

My Scenario:

10 year old Whirlpool Ultimate care ii lsw9750pw3

Fills up, agitates, and drains just fine.

On occasion the high spin cycle does not engage.
You can hear a humming when it should be spinning but it isn’t.

Sometimes, if you lift the lid up a louder “Clank” sound will happen, then I close the lid, and then the spinning will actually start.

Sometimes that doesn’t work and I will manually move the drum around in any random direction and close the lid and it may start up.

Sometimes I do a load and it just seems to run just fine throughout all of the cycles.

It might seem more problematic with larger, heavier loads but it’s hard to tell and not super consistent.

This is exactly the problem I'm having with the same washer.
#8 Posted : Friday, November 24, 2023 2:09:24 PM(UTC)

Groups:
United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Shift actuator
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply