Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tmcq  
#1 Posted : Sunday, December 8, 2013 8:50:30 AM(UTC)
tmcq

Groups: Registered

I just bought this refrigerator from a second-hand store, and I think I know what's wrong...but want to make sure before I put more money into it.

I plugged it in and adjusted the cooling settings both to max. The refrigerator portion has cooled some, but not much. The floor of the freezer and the back wall are extremely cold - ice forming. Over night, things kept on the floor of the freezer completely froze, but the fridge section is still not very cold.

I am not hearing any fan running and there is no noticeable air movement at the vent into the fridge section (warm or cold). It seems that the evaporator fan is not turning at all.

Some questions to help me diagnose:

How can I test that the fan is the problem...can I check for current at the fan terminals?

Should the fan run constantly? Is there anything that should be "telling" the fan to turn on, but is not? (Or, conversely - is there anything that could be "telling" the fan to be off when it should be on?)

Can defrost have anything to do with this problem? I don't understand the defrost process, but it seems un-related to me, since my problem started from my initial plug-in with a warm, dry appliance. If it is a defrost issue can I defeat the defrost mechanism so my fan spins until I can fix the defrost?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, December 8, 2013 11:46:35 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for TPX24PRDA - AppliancePartsPros.com
You seem to be missing a couple digits at the end of the model number so will have to choose one from Matching Model Number section.

[COLOR="Blue"]How can I test that the fan is the problem...can I check for current at the fan terminals?[/COLOR]
Not current but voltage.
If with the door switch closed and the compressor running you have 120 volts across the fan and it does not turn then it is toast.

I do not have access to GE tech info so the above is just what is normal.

[COLOR="Blue"]Should the fan run constantly?[/COLOR]
No. It will be off when the unit is in a defrost cycle and probably when the compressor and it's fan are off.

[COLOR="Blue"] Is there anything that should be "telling" the fan to turn on, but is not? (Or, conversely - is there anything that could be "telling" the fan to be off when it should be on?)[/COLOR]
Not really. It is normally wired in parallel with the conmmpressor and it's fan on these older units.

[COLOR="Blue"]Can defrost have anything to do with this problem?[/COLOR]
No, as long as you compressor is running and trying to cool down the unit.
Defrost shuts off the evaporator/freezer fan, the compressor and the condenser/compressor fan.
It also turns on the defrost heater.
The defrost cycle usually lasts about half an hour.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
tmcq  
#3 Posted : Sunday, December 8, 2013 11:59:41 AM(UTC)
tmcq

Groups: Registered

The missing digits are BB...I thought that they referred to a non-essential variation like "color."

Thanks Denman...this helps.

I haven't diagnosed anything yet - and may not immediately - so any additional information is greatly appreciated. This fridge is in really nice shape, and the price was pretty good, so I feel like it's worth a repair. I just don't want to start down a long line of repairs.
denman  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 9, 2013 12:44:55 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I am nor a big fan of the newer electronic controlled GE's but their older non electronic units are great fridges. Well worth trying to fix.

Evaporator fan failure is a common problem so I will keep my fingers crossed that just the fan needs replacing.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply