Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Whirlpool ray  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 6, 2013 8:54:59 PM(UTC)
Whirlpool ray

Groups: Registered

Hello,
I have my whirlpool washer that will not agitate and does spin slowly with a clicking noise. I did take it apart and had a broken motor coupling. Replaced that with the metal reinforced one. Now it does not agitate at all and it spins with a clicking sound that speeds up as it speeds up. The pump works fine and the motor seems fine too!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Whirlpool ray  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 6, 2013 9:08:51 PM(UTC)
Whirlpool ray

Well I spoke too soon. It does agitate, but when it goes to spins there is a grinding like rubbing a spoon on a washboard as the unit speeds up. The rubbing speeds up.
fairbank56  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 7, 2013 4:09:47 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Does it sound like this?
Kenmore washer noisy spin - YouTube

If so, you have a faulty gearcase. If you have good mechanical skills and have no problem with disassembling the gearcase, it can be repaired rather cheaply, otherwise you will have to replace the gearcase.

Also (not related to your noise problem), make sure that you got the motor coupler plastic parts on correctly. You must tap them on using a socket and hammer so that the ends of the plastic halves are flush with the ends of the shafts.

Eric
Whirlpool ray  
#4 Posted : Saturday, December 7, 2013 6:16:33 AM(UTC)
Whirlpool ray

Thanks Eric,
It does sound quite similar to that. I will double check the couplings are tapped in correctly. During agitation it does grind a little too. It also kinda slips/bangs and slows down during the spin cycle. Is there a posting or video to repair replace the gear case?
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Saturday, December 7, 2013 7:06:23 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Can you post a video to youtube showing inside of tub while in spin mode so I can hear/see whats going on? Difficult to diagnose noise problems without hearing it myself. There's a video on the gearcase parts page here but I wouldn't go ordering a gearcase yet.

Whirlpool 3360629 Neutral Drain Transmission - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric
Whirlpool ray  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 9, 2013 6:08:05 AM(UTC)
Whirlpool ray

Ok
Here is the washer in agitate. There is a low growl if you can hear it.

Agitate - YouTube

Here is the spin cycle. This is much louder sound like a spoon on a wash board.

Spin - YouTube

Thanks for your help in advance!
fairbank56  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 9, 2013 6:51:19 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Yep, faulty gearcase. Repair or replace.

Eric
Whirlpool ray  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 9, 2013 7:20:02 AM(UTC)
Whirlpool ray

Thanks Eric,

Is there a parts break done to possibly repair this? I am mechanically inclined so I might give it a shot. Also if the gears are worn/broken can I by just the parts i would need to repair them?
fairbank56  
#9 Posted : Monday, December 9, 2013 7:57:56 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Here's the parts manual for your washer. Gearcase breakdown is on page 12.

http://shared.whirlpoolc...20List%20-%208179866.pdf

Most likely, the agitate cam is worn (parts 13/14). They come together when ordering. I would first check the tangs on the shifter (28). If one is bent, it won't engage the agitate cam properly. In agitate mode, the shifter rotates the cam such that the inclined ramps in the cam raise the agitate gear up off from the splines on the agitator shaft. If the ramps are worn, it won't lift it high enough and the shaft splines will partially engage the internal splines of the agitate gear causing the noise and slowing/stopping the agitator.

Agitate cam: Whirlpool 285206 Agitate Cam - AppliancePartsPros.com

The gearcase has oil in it so you will have to remove cover with the gearcase level and preferably clamped. You must cut through the gasket sealer with a putty knife. Dump/strain the oil for reuse if it looks good or just replace it. You will have to completely disassemble the gearcase parts to get the agitator shaft out. Flip the agitator shaft upside down and clamp it to work from the bottom of the shaft. Don't lose the thrust bearing and ball bearing in the recess where the agitator shaft sits. There's a video on youtube showing replacement of the agitate cam. You can watch it to get an idea of what to do but he has the cam and cam follower on in reverse order so don't follow him exactly, it won't work that way.

Eric
Whirlpool ray  
#10 Posted : Monday, December 9, 2013 6:46:04 PM(UTC)
Whirlpool ray

Thanks again Eric,
I was told to make sure nothing was stuck between the basket and the tub jamming it. Besides the basket being stuck to the post, it was clear. I had some water in the tub, so I ran the washer with the basket out. It ran very smooth and quiet. So I reinstalled the basket and cover and ran the spin cycle. It ran nice and smooth and quiet. Then I put the lower agitator on and ran it, enter the spoon against wash board sound. I could actually hold the agitator still as the basket spun. I also made sure it was not the agitator slipping on the post. So I think I have proved you were correct and I narrowed it to the agitator post. I think I will buy the complete gearcase as my wife is ready to do laundry! Thanks again!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply