Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Korpps  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:21:53 AM(UTC)
Korpps

Groups: Registered

Hi all,

This may be my first post but I have found this site very useful over the years to fix all of my appliances. So far I am 5 for 5 with the dishwasher, dryer, and washing machine. :)

I have a bit of a problem though concerning my fridge. We had a very unique power surge from a vehicle hitting a pole. When this happened, it actually blew out some of my light bulbs and I actually saw sparks. My neighbors hot water heater controller panel was blown out too. Other neighbors lost stuff as well. It seems perhaps it got a little extra than 110V for a few seconds. Given that background, here is the problem with the fridge:

The freezer side only gets to about 32F. It appears that the lower part of the freezer is colder than the top but that may be because heat rises. The fridge side is just warm....no cooling. It seems that I do not hear any type of blower or fan noise present. Since this is a unique situation I figured I would get some opinions before diving in. The appliance was fine before the surge.

Thanks. I appreciate the help!
Ryan
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Appliance Ninja  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 6:21:50 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

The fan not running in your freezer is likely the cause of the poor cooling. Now, we just need to figure out why the fan is not running. The voltage for that fan comes from the adaptive defrost control, an electronic control board. I suspect that control may have been damaged from the power incident. You can access that fan motor by removing the rear wall from inside the freezer compartment. If you can test it for 120 VAC, we can know what the trouble is. If you have no voltage there, which I suspect you will not, that electronic control is faulty. If that is the case, that control is shown as number 23 in the diagram and is available at the link below.

Frigidaire 5303918476 Adaptive Defrost Control Board - AppliancePartsPros.com
Appliance Ninja attached the following image(s):
APP1.jpg
Korpps  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:03:37 AM(UTC)
Korpps

Thanks Appliance Ninja,

Very informative. I figured it was probably a control board somewhere because I would have to believe the fan motor itself would be a little more resistant to such a power anomaly. I won't be able to trouble this for about a week or so (using spare fridge) because of short term schedule. As soon as I do, I will update and let you know what I find. I appreciate you taking the time to respond. Perhaps I will get a little assistance from the fridge with burnt component marks on the board for extra confirmation! :)

Thanks,
Ryan
Appliance Ninja  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 6:57:25 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

Burn marks are great to help diagnose! If you have no power at the fan motor, though, that board is faulty. Keep me posted! Have a great afternoon!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply