Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ms031317  
#1 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2013 9:39:08 PM(UTC)
ms031317

Groups: Registered

:confused: I have a kenmore model 110-92593410 top loader. I have just replaced the basket drive after watching your helpful video (thank you). The snap ring clip had popped off at the bottom of the basket drive causing the spin cycle to not spin. After careful inspection I noticed the bottom of the shaft had worn out to the point of nearly no more groove left for the snap ring to slide and lock into. So, time to replace the basket drive. After replacing it and reassymbling the washer. I took it for a test spin (dry spin, empty basket) and the good news is the washer now spins but the bad news is, once it spins up to speed it goes frantically out of balance. Never had this problem before. I looked under washer to check all the tension springs and all looks good. I looked at the video three times to make sure I didn't overlook something. Everything looks assembled correctly. What did I do wrong?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2013 4:10:49 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Well, first of all, you could have just replaced the T-bearing in the bottom of your existing basket drive. A cheap (3-4$)and easy fix for the problem you had. Anyway, check to make sure the suspension plate (17) is in proper position and that the 6 damper pads (16&18) are in place and not worn or broken. There's 3 on top of the base assembly and 3 on top of the suspension plate. Also make sure that you got the drive block all the way down and locked properly with the basket drive tabs and that the tub nut is tight.

Eric

UserPostedImage
ms031317  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:07:31 AM(UTC)
ms031317

:) Thanks Fairbank56. I did wind up going back under the machine and did see the problem with the suspension plate sliding out of position and then found something on utube to confirm this. However, it's nice to see your quick response was right on.
You mentioned I could have just replaced the Tub-bearing in the bottom of the basket drive. Is there a video on how to remove the bearing from the tub? At the bottom of my basket drive there is no bearing, only a brass looking sleeve with a groove about 1/8 inch from the bottom for the snap ring to slide onto. What I would like to know is how does the end of the basket drive wear out like that? It doesn't touch anything but nearly 1/8 of an inch of brass (or at least it looks like brass) wore out. This is the original basket drive and I'm the only owner. Any ideas?
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 10:32:06 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
It's called the T bearing, not tub bearing. The bottom of the bearing does rest against the thrust washer that sits on top of the clutch hub. If the clutch slips, there will be relative motion between the thrust washer and the T bearing causing it to wear. One way to get the bearing out without using a special puller is to just cut it lengthwise with a hacksaw blade. It is relatively easy to cut. Just be careful as you get almost through to not cut into the spin tube. Once cut, you can work it loose and pull it out. Tap the new bearing in with a hammer.

Eric

Whirlpool 8546462 T Bearing - AppliancePartsPros.com

UserPostedImage
ms031317  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, November 20, 2013 11:13:41 AM(UTC)
ms031317

:) Thanks Fairbank56. I used a hack saw like you said and sawed almost all the way through the T-bearing on two sides (just to be safe) and then drove it out with a screw driver. No damage to the basket drive. Now I have an extra basket drive, and for four bucks maybe I'll order the T-bearing and have a spare. It took 19 years for this one to wear out, I wonder how long this one will last! The funny thing is when I originally went into Sears Parts Direct.com and pulled up the diagram, it doesn't show this part. It only shows the basket drive. If I had known about this website before tackeling this DIY, you would of saved me some money. Now that I have Appliance Repair Forum saved in my favorites, I will always try it first. Thanks so much Fairbank56.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply