Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ANiforos  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:34:24 PM(UTC)
ANiforos

Groups: Registered

I just purchased the above gas stove from an individual. It obviously has been used very, very little. The burner grates are like new, as is the inside of the oven. It was set up for Natural Gas, but I am on propane. My old GE gas stove finally gave up the ghost. This new to me stove came with a manual, but not an installation booklet. I'm wondering if the installation booklet is available online somewhere?

I searched this forum and read some similar questions, but I'm still a little confused. I have been told that there is an LP replacement orifice for each of the four burners on the stove, as well as an LP orifice for the broiler and the bake part of the oven. That would make six orifices to change. I've seen some kits that also have rubber o-rings???? Not sure what they are for.

I spoke with my local LP gas provider, Carolane Propane, and the service guy there told me to bring the oven by and he could check and make sure it had correct pressures. The LP conversion sticker on the back of my old oven gives supply pressures as minimum 11wc, and maximum 14 wc. The manifold pressure is 10 wc. It also lists the following LP orifices:
Large Orifice size #92, Small Orifice size #33, Bake Orifice size # 55, and Broil Orifice size #56. I'm guessing that since that old sticker mentions pressures, it might be a good idea to take the new to me oven to Carolane Propane. The oven is still on the back of my truck, so it isn't a big deal taking it there.

Is it just a simple matter of changing out the six orifices, or is there something that needs to be replaced in the control valve?

In recapping this long dissertation, I suppose I'm looking for three things.....
1) Installation manual
2) Is it simply changing six orifices?
3) Are LP conversion kits still available and if so, do they come with all the necessary parts?
4) What is the difference between the LP and Natural Gas orifices? I think one has a larger hole. Does LP have the larger hole, or is it the Natural Gas one?

Thanks for any advice available. A number of years ago, you all helped me to replace an entire clock assembly on my old oven. It all turned out well with your help.

Alex
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

ANiforos  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 5, 2013 5:39:23 PM(UTC)
ANiforos

I forgot to ask this question. When making the connection from the accordian type connector pipe to the black pipe coming out of the floor, should I use some type of pipe dope, or is pipe thread tape ok? The tech who came out to check my old stove recommended pipe tape instead of dope.
Simon / APP Team  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 1:13:05 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hello.

Sorry for the long respond time. I was not able to find the instructions for the exact model number, but I think this ones are the same:
LP ORIFICE SPUD LOCATION
LP orifice spuds are located at the back of the storage/broiler drawer compartment. The spud are in a metal bracket next to the pressure regulator and are attatched to the back wall of the compartment by a 1/4" hex head screw. An LP conversion instruction sheet is also located in this area.
CONVERSION TO LP (PROPANE) GAS
1. Convert Regulator - Regulator is located in the lower, left hand rear corner of the range as viewed from the front. Depending on the model, remove the storage drawer, broiler drawer or false panel to access the regulator. Some models with a broiler drawer will
have a metal cover over the regulator that must be removed for conversion and reinstalled when conversion is complete. To convert the regulator remove the large hex-nut which is located in the center of the regulator. Remove the plastic pin from the bottom side of the cap, turn the pin 180 degrees and snap the pin back into the cap. There are raised letters on the flat side of the plastic pin, "NAT" and "LP". In the "LP" position the end of the pin marked "NAT" should be snapped into the bottom of the hex-nut.
2. Remove surface burners and replace all 4 top burner orifices spud with the LP orifice spuds supplied with the range.
3.Using a 1/2" wrench, tighten the orifice hood(s) supplying gas to the oven burner(s) clockwise until snug.
.4.Open the air shutter on the oven burner(s) to the full open position and adjust as needed.

I hope that will help you.
Thanks.
Simon.
ANiforos  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 7:06:45 PM(UTC)
ANiforos

Thank you Simon. I didn't think to look behind the bottom drawer. I just went outside to where the stove is still on the back of my truck, pulled the drawer out and found taped to the side wall was a technical data sheet. Not the Installation Instructions I was hoping for. The very last sentence on the technical data sheet said "LP Gas Conversion information in installation instructions". GE is supposed to be sending me a copy of the installation instructions. There is a chart on the data sheet giving me the LP orifice size or identification number, and which burner the indicated orifices go to.

I did not find the LP orifice spud anywhere. I'll look again tomorrow when it is daylight, but I'm pretty sure its not there. I cannot imagine why anyone would remove them if it had been used with Natural Gas. I hope I am wrong about them not being there.

Simon, thanks again for your help so far.

Alex
Simon / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 9:19:06 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

You are very welcome.

Simon.
maryjane  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 6, 2014 5:51:19 AM(UTC)
maryjane

I've been searching the web for conversion kits and I found the site called GoMow Propane | BE PREPARED! Convert your gas engine to propane within 25 minutes and under $25 keeping your engine parts stock! check it out!. I made the decision to convert to propane because of my experience with disasters before. and it changed my life.
Ranch Rider 105  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 12, 2014 4:10:20 PM(UTC)
Ranch Rider 105

Ok. Just bought a new Kenmore range at my local Sears Store. Need to switch to LP and the sales man could not answer a single question. So I read the manual and switched the four spuds for the top burners. No changes to the oven burner, and turned the part around on the regulator. Now heres my question. I am putting this in a shed and wanting to hook it up to a propane bottle. Probably a 100lb, or a thirty from my camper. Do I need another regulator other than the one on the back of the stove that the supply line hooks into? Or will the regulator that's already on the back of the stove surfice and I only need a piece of hose to attach to the LP Tank and then into the current regulator.

Hope Simon or someone can give me an anwer.

Thanks