Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
lacoppari  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 4, 2013 2:45:29 AM(UTC)
lacoppari

Groups: Registered

I have a 22 year old gas furnace. It works well both in AC and heat. Recently I have noticed a buzzing sound coming from its transformer rather than the usual AC humming sound. If I remove the transformer from the sheet metal to which it is bolted, the buzzing goes away. When I reinstall it, the buzzing remains gone but after several hours the buzzing sound reappears. I've done this reinstallation 3 times in the past two days using varying tightening torques on the two bolts that attach it to the sheet metal. The transformer is small, about 2 inches by 2.5 inches by 1.5 inches. Does the transformer need to be replaced? Or is it a resonance of the sheet metal to which the transformer is bolted? Should I ignore it? Please advise.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Friday, October 4, 2013 4:15:34 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]Does the transformer need to be replaced?[/COLOR]
Cannot say for sure.

[COLOR="Blue"]Or is it a resonance of the sheet metal to which the transformer is bolted?[/COLOR]
Could be, again not sure

[COLOR="Blue"] Should I ignore it?[/COLOR]
Mine has buzzed for years but since it is not very loud and is in the basement I just ignore it.

If it is bugging you, you could try mounting it on some rubber grommets.
Either buy some or make your own.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
lacoppari  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 4, 2013 5:21:59 AM(UTC)
lacoppari

Thanks for input. I have the problem solved. The transformer sits on 4 little tits that keep the the laminated portion off the sheet metal so the only contact is the 4 tits. Therefore the sheet metal does not function as a heat sink. The two bolts that press the laminated portion to the sheet metal tits only screw into the sheet metal - no nut. There is only a thread or two engaged which loosens in time allowing for minute movement and the ensuing buzz. I used nylon ties to suspend the transformer from the sheet metal. It touches no metal now and is very quiet only emitting the AC hum.
JulesLamers  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 4, 2013 8:29:46 PM(UTC)
JulesLamers

You should definitely replace the transformer.
lacoppari  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 5, 2013 2:33:43 AM(UTC)
lacoppari

Originally Posted by: JulesLamers Go to Quoted Post
You should definitely replace the transformer.

Why? When it is suspended or pressed firmly with the hand to the sheet metal, it makes no noise other than the normal AC hum? It seems to me a mounting problem.
lacoppari  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 22, 2013 1:55:47 PM(UTC)
lacoppari

Originally Posted by: smithwatson Go to Quoted Post
Have you done re-installations from HVAC certified professionals? I recommend you always consult with HVAC certified service provider for any type of electrical appliances. If you have done from other service provider, you may face multiple problems due to which you will spend more cost for repairing and servicing.

I'm a retired engineer.....But thanks for the advice anyway. It's been fine for a few weeks now.....normal ac hum.
Staceysmith  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2013 2:44:28 AM(UTC)
Staceysmith

in such a case there are most of the chances that considering replacement remain wise . so do it what is due
lacoppari  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:27:52 AM(UTC)
lacoppari

Originally Posted by: Staceysmith Go to Quoted Post
in such a case there are most of the chances that considering replacement remain wise . so do it what is due

Plastic caps are resonating.
lacoppari  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, November 13, 2013 5:29:22 AM(UTC)
lacoppari

Originally Posted by: sopdaejucvin Go to Quoted Post
Thick red beam stopped in front of Gloucester, angle and timing are just right. No...... it should be regarded as a warning. Caio Dietrich could not help but frowned. For this trick was a little unhappy is a natural reaction, however. nike**air**max Did not continue to play here, the meaning of ah. Cecil glanced at the screen constantly emitting white smoke Gustom.Griffon, Caio Dietrich facing Saviour squeezed out a laugh. This does not meet the purpose of setting the plot. So,nike**air**max**1, now you can happily retreat. Gloucester retreat signal sent ! Looking at the screen three groups shining ball of light, love Na slightly relieved. Released B-System has more than 20 minutes, Gustom.Griffon seemingly unharmed, but in reality is not. Dynamic part of the cervical spine severely damaged. The mechanical structure of the left hand over the load limit. Coolant began leaking. - A word,nike**air**max**90, it really is not the time to go to continue the war, Minerva, deuteron beam irradiation ! Rancorous voice suddenly exploding in a communication channel where, the Lord of the technical staff, and most of the combatants blow stunned. Has issued evacuation orders, the chief who want to do ? Do you want to present state Gustom.Griffon single-handedly to continue fighting ? This behavior can not be said even stupid, no doubt is no rational. ???????: http://www.acelg.org.au/templates/librarary.phpugg http://www http://www.acelg.org.au/templates/librarary.phpche

What is this gibberish?
denman  
#10 Posted : Thursday, November 14, 2013 1:11:52 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
spam

Just some idiots abusing the internet
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply