Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TylerC78  
#1 Posted : Friday, September 20, 2013 8:27:35 AM(UTC)
TylerC78

Groups: Registered

I have an older 30+year upright freezer with coils on the exterior back. The freezer would shut down and not restart unless I turned thermostat off and back on. So I took the thermostat apart and cleaned it and put it back on and it seems to cool and be fine. Except now the compressor and coils are extremely hot to touch, and the compressor is just humming very quietly. Doesn't seem like its running smooth. Still hear gas sounds inside and it stays frozen fine. Im not sure if this is normal doesn't sound like any of my other appliance compressors. Not sure what to do
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, September 21, 2013 3:30:04 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
A model number may help others help you.

If it is humming and vibrating then the compressor is on.
Cannot say if there is a problem from just the sound as the compressor noise varies from unit to unit.
Ypou could check the compressor mounts.

If the unit has a condenser/compressor fan, is it running?

Is the compressor cycling or is it always on?
If always on (humming), check the freezer temperature. It should be between 0 and 5 degrees F.

Could be that it is just hot because it never cycles.
It may be trying to reach a set point temperature that is too low. This could be a thermostat problem.
Also when the unit is trying to cool down from an ambient temperature it will run a long time but once it reaches set point temperature it should start to cycle so that the compressor does not run too hot.

Note that if the compressor is too hot the thermal protect will open, killing power to the compressor. Then when it cools it will try to restart. This causes the compressor tocycle on/off every couple minutes.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply