Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bds120  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, August 14, 2013 6:46:35 AM(UTC)
bds120

Groups: Registered

We have a MayTag electric range with the ceramic top. I will provide the part number when I get off as well as a video of what we have happening.

For now,

We purchased our house in Dec 2011 and it was built in 1992. The original oven/range was a 3 prong. We brought our own appliances and installed them all and the oven was a 4 prong. I went and purchased the 3 prong cord and the ground green wire to bridge to the neutral white. Stove and all works fine but we had to replace the 2 big infinite switches because they arcing and sparking when turning on and off. If we removed our hand quickly and let it pop out to turn off it would spark, but if we slowly backed off, it would not do it as much. Anyways we replaced them and they are working better but they still do it.

Now the two back smaller burners we did not replace but they are popping and sparking the same.

My question is could going from the 4 prong to the 3 prong have changed the way the range works? I don't want to keep spending $30+ for each of these infinite switches. Could it be a fuse or something else or the main power source feeding too much power or not enough or what?

Like I said they work but the back 2 are giving the most issues. Especially when the range dims and powers back up. It almost sounds like a small sizzle like you can hear the current jumping back and forth to the connectors.

ALL help is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.