Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
familymechanic  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2013 7:42:35 AM(UTC)
familymechanic

Groups: Registered

Hi. This is my first time posting on here. I have a Model WBXR1060T2WW G.E. washing machine. The agitator has stopped agitating during the wash cycle. It still spins with the tub on the spin cycle. I pulled out the agitator and removed the agitator coupler. The splines in coupler are gone so I know that's the reason it is not agitating. I can''t tell if the splines on my transmission shaft are worn away or not. I am trying to clean it enough to tell. What is the best way to clean off transmission shaft to see if splines are worn out without ruining splines?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2013 8:00:35 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The agitator shaft and splines are steel. Clean them with a wire brush. Not likely that they are damaged as the coupler is just plastic.

Eric
familymechanic  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2013 4:46:20 PM(UTC)
familymechanic

Groups: Registered

Thanks Fairbank. Wire brushed shaft and tried to clean out splines with small flat screwdriver. This machine is 17 years old and the splines are severely corroded, some even completely gone. Cleaned as best I could and still had to force new coupler down onto them. I think it is time for a new washer since a new transmission costs around $250! But in the meantime it is back to working, for how long who knows?
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 10, 2013 5:49:24 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I have a similar GE washer that is 11 years old and I have replaced the transmission and motor and will continue to repair it as needed vice buying the junk they are selling nowadays.

Eric