Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Wayneboy  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 6, 2013 5:15:37 PM(UTC)
Wayneboy

Groups: Registered

I have an old Kenmore side by side that the ice maker water valve coil has opened up recently. I bought a new valve in 5-2012, part #WR57X10051, installed it and it made great ice until now. I am wondering if there needs to be an MOV across the coil? Does anyone have a schematic for this model, or maybe something similar so I can see at what point the valve coil gets 120VAC from the ice maker? Can I jumper a switch in the icemaker to power up the coil? Thank you in advance for any and all help!

Wayne
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2013 1:38:04 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You can put 115 volts to the coil to see if it will work. To prevent failure, put a 1000 joule surge protector in the wall outlet.
Wayneboy  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2013 4:33:22 AM(UTC)
Wayneboy

Groups: Registered

Hi Richappy, and thanks a million for replying. The coil is open as measured by my ohmmeter. The surge suppressor on the outlet would definitely protect the whole fridge from surges. However, the nature of AC solenoids is when they close or are de-energized, they create a strong back voltage, sort of transformer action. I need to find some varistors to place across the coils themselves. I will also take your advice and buy me a surge protector too!

Wayneboy
richappy  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 7, 2013 5:09:20 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Coils do produce a double voltage spike, but of very short duration which will not affect the coil. All electronic boards have movistors to protect them, it's only the long duration power line spikes you need to be concerned about. Surge protector should protect them. Be aware that lightning follows water lines and that usually burns out the water solenoids.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply