Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
dvhumm  
#1 Posted : Friday, August 2, 2013 6:59:31 AM(UTC)
dvhumm

Groups: Registered

Hi, anyone have experience and can explain what is fully involved with fixing/replacing a set of broken ice maker wires in an upright side-by-side refrig?? These wires come directly out of the molded side wall near the top of the freezer. It looked like the wire insulation was only in the wall by a few mm's, but with stress taking the ice maker out and in several times, the insulation pulled out from the wall and then the bare cooper wires just broke fully flush with the wall. :( So no way of splicing a new wire harness on at this point. I need to get to the wiring assembly behind the white molded freezer wall and splice back there or replace it with a new one. I certainly assume that I need to get into that cavity between the freezer and refrigator part of the unit, but how do I do that??? Any help on what is involved, I would be greatful!! Thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jmacguyver  
#2 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2013 8:22:43 AM(UTC)
jmacguyver

Same thing just happened to me, were you able to fix the problem?
jmacguyver  
#3 Posted : Friday, September 6, 2013 8:26:14 AM(UTC)
jmacguyver

Originally Posted by: dvhumm Go to Quoted Post
Hi, anyone have experience and can explain what is fully involved with fixing/replacing a set of broken ice maker wires in an upright side-by-side refrig?? These wires come directly out of the molded side wall near the top of the freezer. It looked like the wire insulation was only in the wall by a few mm's, but with stress taking the ice maker out and in several times, the insulation pulled out from the wall and then the bare cooper wires just broke fully flush with the wall. :( So no way of splicing a new wire harness on at this point. I need to get to the wiring assembly behind the white molded freezer wall and splice back there or replace it with a new one. I certainly assume that I need to get into that cavity between the freezer and refrigator part of the unit, but how do I do that??? Any help on what is involved, I would be greatful!! Thanks.

Same thing happened to me, have you been able to fix it?
dvhumm  
#4 Posted : Saturday, September 7, 2013 7:19:22 PM(UTC)
dvhumm

Hi, No, have not had anyone provide any specific help on this issue. Have just been using ice trays for now!!
gfretwell  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 10:35:21 AM(UTC)
gfretwell

I am assuming we mean the 4 wires that oval plastic bushing in the side.

I took a dremel with the saw blade, cut about 1/4" around the bushing and broke it out. The wires are buried in foam so you are not really making an air leak. Carefully work the wires loose and get about 3/8" or so loose. You might have to eat out a little more foam. Once you get enough to splice them, go for it and shrink wrap the joint or use butt connectors.
It ain't pretty but the price of a new fridge gives you a little better sense of humor about it.

Bear in mind, at least one of them is 120 volts so UNPLUG the fridge!

Crush the bushing with pliers to scavenge as much of the wire as possible

http://gfretwell.com/electrical...l%20icemaker%20wires.jpg
dvhumm  
#6 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 4:52:36 PM(UTC)
dvhumm

Hi gfretwell,

Thank you for the detailed explanation and the picture. This is pretty much exactly what I was hoping for when placing the post. I was real tempted in cutting around the plastic grommet, but I was not sure at all what might be behind the wall and was afraid I would completely ruin the refrig if I made the cut. I was hoping that someone else had done something similar and would able to confirm that this is an OK think to do. Thank you for taking the time to respond.
gfretwell  
#7 Posted : Monday, March 31, 2014 10:39:49 PM(UTC)
gfretwell

I just read this thread this morning (Monday) looking for a solution but here and everyone else said it was a fatal wound so I figured I had little to lose.
Just be careful to not cut too deep. The skin is pretty thin. The rest is just foam.
I soldered the wires but butt splices might work. I put an extra 4" of wire on the pigtail so I had more working room next time I have to remove the ice maker. I think that is how you break them although there was some green corrosion where it broke. I suspect you crack the insulation stressing it, water gets in and eats the wire.

I am still worried about sealing the hole. I think you need a vapor barrier. I am thinking about RTV. I found some that says it works down to 10f so it will probably be OK if I let the temp drift up a bit.

The freezer is still full.

I may put a foam coffee cup over the patch to keep it a little warmer in there. I will put something hot in the cup. (small zip bag full of hot water or something).
denman  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 2, 2014 1:51:02 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
To seal holes in the back of the freezer I would use plumbers putty.
It will let you remove it in the future if you have to.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
#9 Posted : Sunday, November 13, 2022 9:44:06 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Not sure how long this will last but I just stripped the broken wire and wrapped it around a thumb tack and jammed the tack into the broken wire hole in the oval plug that is in the freezer wall where I could see the threads of the broken wire. It is making ice. Only took 5 minutes where cutting a whole around the oval plug seems like it would take a while.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply