Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Cave Run  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 10:12:05 AM(UTC)
Cave Run

Groups: Registered

I have a GE 2800 dishwasher model GSD2800G07. When I hit start the drain pump/motor does not engage. After 3-4 seconds water starts to fill the tub. When I hit reset the pump solenoid starts to buzz loudly for 3-4 seconds and shuts off. Fan blades spin freely. Solenoid plunger moves freely. No obvious wiring damage. Thoughts?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

scott5495  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 11:44:31 AM(UTC)
scott5495

how much water is in the tub.
when the solenoid kicks in is the main pump running?
when you say fan blades, are you talking about the motor fan or the spray arms?
let me know. I will try to help
Cave Run  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 12:11:55 PM(UTC)
Cave Run

Water valve opens after a couple of seconds and will continue to fill until I hit reset. Motor never kicks in. Solenoid kicks in when I hit reset and pump/motor still doesn't kick in. Water never drains. Checked the motor fan, thinking the motor might have seized up. Spins freely.
scott5495  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 12:24:16 PM(UTC)
scott5495

if the main pump does not run when solenoid engages, it will not pump out.
there is only power on the solenoid for a short period. the solenoid opens a flap and the pump motor keeps the flap open by pushing water across it. find out if you have power to the motor. if you have 110-120 volts then the pump motor is bad.
Cave Run  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 2:50:50 PM(UTC)
Cave Run

No power to the motor. Short in the harness?
scott5495  
#6 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 5:07:23 PM(UTC)
scott5495

it is possible that a wire is broken. separate the door. open door and remove screws on side and top of door. close door and latch. the outside door will separate and leave the inside of door closed. this will give you access to the control and to the pump wires. trace the two wires from motor to board and see if they are o.k.

next, check the door switch, may be two switches. check and make sure they are closing contacts. can do this with ohm meter, or just press the button on switch and make sure they click. pressing switch is no guarantee that it is good if it clicks, but most likely it is. I would check this first.

also, unless it has been removed there is a piece of paper tucked between the frame and the tub at the front. this is the wiring diagram. let me know if need further help, I will pull a wiring diagram
Cave Run  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 6:39:08 PM(UTC)
Cave Run

Thanks so much for advice. I'll give it a try and let you know what I find. I was in Rocky Mount last fall for work. Pretty country.
Cave Run  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 3:28:18 PM(UTC)
Cave Run

Scott5495 -

Finally had a chance to open up the door. Wire in the harness is severed at the base of the door at the lower edge of a plastic restraining strip holding the harness in place. Wiring diagram is missing, but the wire is baby blue and one of the orange leads from the motor ties into a baby blue wire. Best way to repair?
scott5495  
#9 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 4:39:07 PM(UTC)
scott5495

use a small wire nut to put the wires together. usually orange wire nut is large enough. or use a bell connector. wrap in electrical tape to secure wire nut. other alternative would be to solder wires together and tape. I would not just tape the wires together as there is enough amperage on motor to cause it to break again. also I would wrap tape around wiring harness where the wire broke at the door.
Cave Run  
#10 Posted : Thursday, July 11, 2013 5:50:09 PM(UTC)
Cave Run

Used an orange wire nut, taped everything up and it's working like a charm. Can't express my gratitude enough. Thank you very much!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply