Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tluxtele  
#1 Posted : Saturday, July 6, 2013 5:50:08 PM(UTC)
tluxtele

Groups: Registered

I'll try to make this quick.

My dryer has been squeaking for a bit. If you were to count musically it'd go squeak-squeak-3-4. The other day it started to make a new noise. Kinda sounding like an air compressor. I have taken it apart to find the cause. Here is the list of things I think it could be and questions that go with them.

- The belt is bad so that needs to be replaced.

- I figured I would check/replace the bearing while I'm in there. The problem is I don't know what would look bad or worn. The bearing is a sleeve that goes around a post. It looks fine. It has some play in it. Is it supposed to be a "snug" fit or should there be play? How much play?

- Some one told me it could be the belt tensioner. How do I check it? It appears to roll fine. Should I just lube it? What would be a good lube?

- The model doesn't appear to have any drum rollers. There are two strips that it looks like the drum rests on. Should I replace these?

Is there anything else I should check? How does one go about finding parts at a local place and not have to order online. I have no issue with online, I'd just like to make sure I have the right parts.

Thanks for your help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

scott5495  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 7:36:50 AM(UTC)
scott5495

replace rear drum bearing part no. we03x0074. if never changed, 100% sure that is problem. ask local parts house for tube of grease for the idler pulley. most any will do. the drum glides at bottom of drum are bad if the plastic has worn through. if not don't replace. the drum bearing can look fine but dry out. sort of a hardening process.
tluxtele  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 10:49:26 AM(UTC)
tluxtele

scott,

Thanks for your help. I'll look for a place tomorrow to get that part. Hopefully that will do it.

Do I need to grease the bearing or just put it on? And you're saying to just get the bearing, not the whole assembly right?

BTW, I'm not far down the road. I'm in Pittsboro. My wife taught in Rocky Mount for a few years.
scott5495  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 7, 2013 11:36:28 AM(UTC)
scott5495

right, do not replace the whole assembly, just the drum bearing. do not grease the drum bearing. btw the bearing may look a little different than the original. only put a little grease on the belt idler pulley shaft. sounds like you have it licked. [ a term only southerners know]. I wish I were in Pittsboro or somewhere else, Rocky Mount ain't what it used to be.
tluxtele  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 8, 2013 8:54:15 PM(UTC)
tluxtele

Squeaking is gone but the air compressor noise is still there. I took some video so you could hear what I'm talking about. If I had to guess I'd say it's coming from the front of the dryer. Any ideas?

Dryer - YouTube
scott5495  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2013 3:29:51 AM(UTC)
scott5495

take the front off the dryer.
look at the fan blade in the lower left corner.
sounds like it may have slid forward on the motor shaft and is hitting the frame.
also look for something in the fan blade housing.
the noise has something to do with the fan blade hitting something
tluxtele  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2013 10:38:22 AM(UTC)
tluxtele

Ok. I took the front off, spun the fan by hand and it seems to be fine. Can't hear anything rubbing, etc. So I took the drum out to see if I could get a better look. Then I realized the blower tube is in the way. Before I took it off I looked for anything else.

What did I see?

The "slide" just above the fan is almost worn threw and there is a crack near the rivet I missed with my last inspection. I have it off and I'm going to try to make it over to the parts place to see if they have them in stock. I can't figure out what else it'd be.

Could this be my problem? I don't hear any rubbing or scraping when I turn the motor/fan.
scott5495  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 9, 2013 4:52:34 PM(UTC)
scott5495

yes this absolutely can be your problem and from what you described it is

the instructions on your part may call for you to mount the slides differently, don't worry about that. glad you found it.
tluxtele  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:45:19 PM(UTC)
tluxtele

Well, the slides needed to be changed BUT they weren't the problem. I'm getting frustrated. Just to recap.

Changed...
... belt
... rear bearing
... front slides

It still makes that noise. It seems like something is rubbing because it happens at a consistent revolution while spinning. I have now checked the fan area. Here's what I don't understand. If I don't have the drum in I can spin the fan with no noise. I put it all together, turn it on and I get that noise.

After turning it on tonight and still getting the noise (after replacing the slides) I have now taken the motor out so I can look behind the fan. I don't see any signs of the fan scraping ANYWHERE. I now have the motor completely out and I can't hear the scraping sound by just turning it.

I've brought my wife in for another set of ears. She's stumped too. She's wondering if the drum is just rubbing somewhere.

What do I do now? Should I take video of the motor outside of the dryer spinning by hand to see if I'm missing something?

Is it possible there's a bearing in the motor that's bad? Something that only makes that noise once there is tension from the belt being on it and pulling it?
scott5495  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, July 10, 2013 4:57:25 PM(UTC)
scott5495

you can hook the motor back up without re-installing and then jump the door switch wires. turn on dryer and listen to the motor at full speed. the noise I heard was loud enough to show up without tension on the pulley.

another thought, check the metal vent under the drum to make sure it is not hitting the drum. I saved the video, i'm going back and listen again
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply