Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jyhill  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 22, 2013 1:07:24 PM(UTC)
jyhill

Groups: Registered

Hello:

We disassembled the water/ice dispenser in the door of our side-by-side to clean a buildup of mold in areas we couldn't reach otherwise, and now I can get it back together so that it works properly. As far as I can tell, the problem centers on a spring or springs that was part of the dispenser assembly. I seem to remember two springs but now only find one. And I can't figure how to reattach the spring. The flap covering the ice chute hangs loose, and nothing (water or ice) is dispensed when we put everything in place (without the spring) and press a glass against the plastic lever-type piece that used to cause the water and ice to drop into the glass.

Are there supposed to be two springs, and if so (or if there is only one), how are they attached? I am including photos of the dispenser, internal component, loose flap and spring.

Thanks very much for any guidance you can offer.

Jon
jyhill attached the following image(s):
1-water dispenser front.jpg
1-inner component.jpg
1-flap--component removed.jpg
1-spring displayed.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

jyhill  
#2 Posted : Saturday, June 22, 2013 2:41:39 PM(UTC)
jyhill

Not sure what has happened, but when I took the dispenser apart prior to writing you before, the water began to shoot out of the small hose all over the floor. I turned all power off and it stopped. After writing about the spring before, I learned how to put the little spring back in place on the flapper door arm. Is there another spring in the unit that I lost? The dispenser lever seems to rock back and forth too freely and nothing will dispense on command.

Worst of all, though, is the spewing water. If the power is on, the water shoots out of the unit nonstop. If I punch the ice buttons, the water stops and the ice maker sounds apparently begins turning (grinding sound). I.e., the unit seems to stay on all the time if the power is on. Does this have something to do with the solenoid? Another switch somewhere? (I see one that seems to be touched when the lever is moved back and forth in the component/funnel housing.
jyhill  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 22, 2013 4:29:09 PM(UTC)
jyhill

Back again. Think everything is working now. Micro switch had been reinstalled incorrectly during earlier reassembly and was not being tripped properly by the plastic funnel/lever mechanism. Therefore, it was not working at all or was making the water run nonstop. Reinstalled in its plastic "compartment" correctly (right angle to its previous incorrect position), it is tripped when a glass is pressed against the funnel/lever and goes off when the glass is removed.

I'm glad, however, that this forum is available for situations such as this. Thanks.
tnhottie025  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 5, 2014 6:04:46 AM(UTC)
tnhottie025

Hello. I was wondering if you figured out where to put the spring that goes on the ice dispenser funnel? I am having trouble figuring out its location and have been searching online for days but I am having no luck finding where it goes and how it sets. Thanks!
bbudday  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 25, 2017 7:38:47 PM(UTC)
bbudday

Am wondering how to attach the spring on the funnel for a ge fridge. I ordered the comp housing guide and was sent a new assembly guide but doesn't say or show where or how the spring is attached to the chute. The new assembly is not the same at the relay.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply