Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nolando  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 8, 2013 10:41:52 AM(UTC)
nolando

Groups: Registered

I have an upright refrigerator/freezer. The back of the freezer has a very small cold spot. On this cold spot, water condenses and then it drips. I have zero experience doing appliance repairs. I'm assuming that internally, that particular spot is not insulated well (perhaps it's near a water intake for the ice maker?). What if I simply taped some insulation to the outside at that particular spot? Seriously... taking the backing off of the freezer / refrigerator is beyond my capacity. (I'm a biology professor, and hence a moron when it comes to doing practical things). At least it's beyond my capacity when my wife is looking over my shoulder incessantly telling me that I'm probably screwing up something.

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 9, 2013 12:38:59 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
You fix should work.

I would use a piece on styrofoam. Make sure that it is at least a couple inches larger than the cold spot all the way around it. Use a minimum of 1 inch thickness. Also if you can, use closed cell often blue or pink. The white stuff is usually open cell and can absorb water over time.

I would also calk the underside perimeter of your styrofoam to be sure no warm air can get under it. Be sure the calk you use is compatible with foam. Most silicone sealants will eat styrofoam.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
micfran  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 5, 2016 9:48:12 AM(UTC)
micfran

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
You fix should work.

I would use a piece on styrofoam. Make sure that it is at least a couple inches larger than the cold spot all the way around it. Use a minimum of 1 inch thickness. Also if you can, use closed cell often blue or pink. The white stuff is usually open cell and can absorb water over time.

I would also calk the underside perimeter of your styrofoam to be sure no warm air can get under it. Be sure the calk you use is compatible with foam. Most silicone sealants will eat styrofoam.

hey guys,
i have similar problem,. refrigerator is only 3 yrs old. Did this work for you'all

Thank you
Michael
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply