Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages<123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
zachunderwood  
#11 Posted : Sunday, April 10, 2016 11:21:45 AM(UTC)
zachunderwood

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it. I have Kenmore Elite refrigerator with bottom freezer. Sure enough, it's manufactured by LG. I too had a failed left hinge on the freezer compartment. I ordered a replacement from Sears Parts Direct - $41 (tax and shipping included). When I received the part in the mail, I was initially stumped as to how to install.

Being a "visual" guy - here's what I had to do.

Step #1, Make sure that the level is closed by pushing down on the top part (red arrow) and then sliding the locking mechanism in the direction of Yellow Arrow. Finally, when we insert this hinge into the receiving area, it's wont' go all the way in. It goes about 75% of the way in - while resting on the bottom notch (blue arrow) of the hinge.

UserPostedImage

Step #2 - Attach the hinge to the freezer door. After inserting the hinge into the receiving area and having it rest on the notch (blue arrow), then release the locking mechanism by - put a little downward force (I used a hammer and just pushed on it from the top) on the top part (red arrow). Then, while the force is applied, release the locking mechanism - (yellow arrow). Once to you that, the hinge will insert itself the rest of the way into the area.
UserPostedImage
Joe / APP Team  
#12 Posted : Monday, April 11, 2016 5:48:29 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: zachunderwood Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for the help! I really appreciate it. I have Kenmore Elite refrigerator with bottom freezer. Sure enough, it's manufactured by LG. I too had a failed left hinge on the freezer compartment. I ordered a replacement from Sears Parts Direct - $41 (tax and shipping included). When I received the part in the mail, I was initially stumped as to how to install.

Step #1, Make sure that the level is closed by pushing down on the top part (red arrow) and then sliding the locking mechanism in the direction of Yellow Arrow. Finally, when we insert this hinge into the receiving area, it's wont' go all the way in. It goes about 75% of the way in - while resting on the bottom notch (blue arrow) of the hinge.

UserPostedImage

Step #2 - Attach the hinge to the freezer door. After inserting the hinge into the receiving area and having it rest on the notch (blue arrow), then release the locking mechanism by - put a little downward force (I used a hammer and just pushed on it from the top) on the top part (red arrow). Then, while the force is applied, release the locking mechanism - (yellow arrow). Once to you that, the hinge will insert itself the rest of the way into the area.
UserPostedImage

Zach,

Thanks for the photos and explanation/directions. It'll come in handy for others reading or researching the Repair Forum for help. Great Job, Thanks Again !!!
whiteknight93  
#13 Posted : Monday, October 17, 2016 5:53:25 PM(UTC)
whiteknight93

Amazing description. Thanks so much! My freezer door had come off its hinge and your explanation was on point!!
Joe / APP Team  
#14 Posted : Tuesday, October 18, 2016 4:55:57 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: whiteknight93 Go to Quoted Post
Amazing description. Thanks so much! My freezer door had come off its hinge and your explanation was on point!!

Whiteknight, Glad we could help you out. Thanks to our subscribers, There is a lot of usable information. Thanks Again,
IceeOne  
#15 Posted : Friday, November 4, 2016 9:51:22 AM(UTC)
IceeOne

Hello. Could you please post the photos again. For some reason they are not showing up. Thanks
philrides  
#16 Posted : Thursday, January 5, 2017 5:23:04 PM(UTC)
philrides

This is the only explanation of how that hinge works. It saved me after 3 hours of trying all different methods to reattach! Thank you thank you thank you!!!
Joe / APP Team  
#17 Posted : Friday, January 6, 2017 5:05:53 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: philrides Go to Quoted Post
This is the only explanation of how that hinge works. It saved me after 3 hours of trying all different methods to reattach! Thank you thank you thank you!!!

Philrides, You're Very Welcome !!!! Glad we could help you out. Thanks
SoCalKingg  
#18 Posted : Tuesday, April 18, 2017 1:41:53 PM(UTC)
SoCalKingg

Originally Posted by: zachunderwood Go to Quoted Post

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

Thank you so much. I didn't realize there was a 2nd page to this forum that included your "visual guide" until after about 3 hours of attempting to fix it with just the information I had on the first page.

The mistake I was making was taking the bottom lever with the latch, opening the latch and just pushing it straight up into the top part of the latch. It actually took quite a bit of force for me push the top part down where the latch could hook on to it. I also had to take off the plastic flap covering the locking mechanism, the one held by two screws, in order for me to be able to take the latch off once it was inserted.

Thanks again, I had never heard of this website until I came across this post, will keep in mind for future reference. The exact fridge I was working on was an LG LRFD21855ST.
Joe / APP Team  
#19 Posted : Wednesday, April 19, 2017 5:17:21 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: SoCalKingg Go to Quoted Post
Thank you so much. I didn't realize there was a 2nd page to this forum that included your "visual guide" until after about 3 hours of attempting to fix it with just the information I had on the first page.

The mistake I was making was taking the bottom lever with the latch, opening the latch and just pushing it straight up into the top part of the latch. It actually took quite a bit of force for me push the top part down where the latch could hook on to it. I also had to take off the plastic flap covering the locking mechanism, the one held by two screws, in order for me to be able to take the latch off once it was inserted.

Thanks again, I had never heard of this website until I came across this post, will keep in mind for future reference. The exact fridge I was working on was an LG LRFD21855ST.

SoCalKingg, Great !!! We're glad you took the time and effort to get all the information. There is a lot of information on this forum, the response team is a pretty good group of people, as are the people who post questions. This is a good place to start when repairing an appliance. Thanks Again,
mashtun4979  
#20 Posted : Thursday, July 27, 2017 8:26:50 PM(UTC)
mashtun4979

Sage advice! I had the same issue and has been resolved as a result of your post. Thanks!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply