Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Mahoraba  
#1 Posted : Thursday, May 9, 2013 11:16:20 AM(UTC)
Mahoraba

Groups: Registered

I realize this is the forum for Refrigerators but I did not see a section that better suited my inquiry, sorry in advance for where I've placed this.

Generally a Water Line freeze is easily fixed by adjusting the Thermostat to a warmer setting but this specific Water Cooler does not have an Adjustable Thermostat, the digital display in the front is the only way to adjust it and it will only let you adjust it a very limited amount.

This Water cooler has Hot and Cold water and it has a small fridge at the bottom. The Hot water temperature on the digital display displays correctly when I turn the Hot switch on, it will rise and it will stop when it reaches 90 degrees F like its suppose to.

But the cold side reads 99 degrees F and 51 degrees C at all times, no matter what, this is causing the water to perpetually continue cooling and eventually, freezing and I'm not exactly sure what I can do about it.

I've taken the back off and looked at it just to see if I could find some kind of adjuster or something but none exists not under a sticker, not behind a panel, no where.

http://www.comstatinc.com/images/thermo.jpg

The left-most one on that picture is the thing that I've been able to determine is a pre-set Thermostat and that must be the one for the Hot side (Since the Hot side is unable to be changed, a pre-set Thermostat is Ideal and was probably cost efficient when they were building these).

Now, I only see one of those and I cannot find anything else that looks anything like a thermostat, I've followed the Compressors cords every which way and have come up with nothing, but since the Hot side thermostat is working and stops when It needs to stop and reads correctly, that the Control board itself is fine and its just a thermal switch somewhere that needs adjusted/replaced?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Mahoraba  
#2 Posted : Friday, May 10, 2013 8:01:47 AM(UTC)
Mahoraba

I've been able to deduce the exact wire that runs into where the Cold water is and found that this paticular Water cooler uses a 2 Pin Thermal Sensor wire that goes into the foam (Not sure If it continues to go into where the water is, unsure If I can just yank it out, there's tape around where it is.) Unplugging this wire, gives the control board an error for the Cold response, indicating that it is indeed that 2 pin wire that runs into the foam covered water bowl.

I now just need to know if its safe to remove the current wire running into the Bowl and if it is, what kind of 2pin thermal sensor wire to buy since most wires seem to be designed for a computer motherboard, I'm unsure if one of those would work.
Mahoraba  
#3 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 8:55:36 AM(UTC)
Mahoraba

Upsetting that I've yet to get a single comment.. Oh well I suppose I'll keep at it.

Since I know that the Hot Thermal Sensor Wire works and detects the temp of the Hot side and I haven't ever and probably will never use the Hot side, I figure I could take the Thermal Sensor wire from the Hot side and use it to detect on the Cold side instead, Yes?

Unless Hot/Cold Thermal Sensor Wires have any reason to detect resistance differently which I suspect that they might, that should work to simply take the Hot wire and place it for Cold.

Reguardless of if that would work or not, These wires go into the Foam Bowl that I believe covers a metal bowl that holds these wires onto the bowl itself, If this is indeed how it is then I should be able to cut the foam around where the Wire goes into the bowl and then take the wire out of where its positioned, Yes/No?
denman  
#4 Posted : Saturday, May 11, 2013 10:11:09 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
The probable reason that you have not received any replies is that no one can find any tech data on the unit.

I would disconnect the thermistors at the control board and read their resistance values with a meter.
If you have a resistance then they are probably OK.
It will likely be in the upper Kohms.
They may or may not be the same.

Google "thermistor specs" and you will see what is normal resistance for some of them.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply