Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
tjg79  
#1 Posted : Sunday, April 28, 2013 11:29:26 AM(UTC)
tjg79

Groups: Registered

Hi, My GE refrigerator defrost fails to function causing the cooling coils to develop ice. This happened before when the unit was about seven years old. I replaced the Defrost Thermostat and it resolved the issue. I suspect the same issue this time.

While I'm waiting for the new Defrost Thermostat to arrive, I removed the suspected failed defrost thermostat to see if I could get the unit to defrost. I tried both conditions: 1. left the circuit open (thermostat removed) and 2. closed the circuit (shorted the connecting leads) to see if I could validate the thermostat issue. The unit appears to develop frost in either condition which causes me to suspect that there might be another issue causing the unit to fail to defrost.

Also, the ice maker stopped making ice. I suspect the two issues are related.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Regards
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 12:42:21 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi,

Prior to order any replacement parts you have to test them to save time and money. There are only two defrost parts (defrost thermostat and defrost heater) in the freezer and it is pretty simple to test them for continuity using a simple multimeter like the following:

- the multimeter Part number: AP5641751
Part number: AP5641751

or any other of your choice.

The following article on our forum will explain in detail how to run a continuity test using either an analog meter or a digital meter - http://forum.appliancepartspros...continuity-ohmmeter.html

- The defrost heater Part number: AP2071483
Part number: AP2071483

- The defrost thermostat Part number: AP2071242
Part number: AP2071242

If both of the above parts are good, replace the defrost timer.

- The defrost timer Part number: AP2061708
Part number: AP2061708

Gene.
tjg79  
#3 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 12:51:17 PM(UTC)
tjg79

Thank you Gene,

I know the heater works. I removed the defrost thermostat and shorted the leads. The heater was working. I checked the defrost thermostat with a multimeter and it was open (no continuity) after it was removed. I placed it on ice and it checked out as having continuity at about 6 ohms resistance. It appears to me that the thermostat may be good as well as the heater.

Because one lead from the defrost thermostat connects to the plug for the ice maker and the fact that the ice maker is not making ice, I suspect the problem may be an ice maker electrical problem.

Do you have any diagnostic recommendations to check to further isolate this issue?

Regards
Gene  
#4 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 1:18:13 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Lets do one thing at a time. The thermostat is probably bad because 6 Ohms reading is incorrect.

Replace the thermostat and we will go from there.

Gene.
tjg79  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 29, 2013 1:21:19 PM(UTC)
tjg79

Thanks Gene,

The new thermo should arrive in a day or two. I'll posts the results as soon as I have it installed.

Regards
tjg79  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, April 30, 2013 9:18:39 AM(UTC)
tjg79

Installed new Defrost Thermostat.

I will observe to see if everything is resolved.

How long will I have to wait to see if this fix resolves the ice maker issue?

Regards
tjg79  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 1, 2013 3:09:03 AM(UTC)
tjg79

It will be awhile before I notice any frost build up inside the freezer compartment with the covers installed.

Since one lead from the defrost thermostat goes to the connector for the ice maker, could a fault in the ice maker electrical harness cause the frost build-up?

The ice maker is still not functioning. I filled the tray with water and it did rotate out one iteration of ice after about 18 hours. It doesn't seem to be getting any water. I notices that is did cycle once in the last 24 hours, but only produced ice about 15% of the normal size.

Does the defrost timer affect the ice maker? Will the refrigerator defrost properly with the ice maker unplugged from the connector to the electrical harness?

Status so far:

Defrost Heater - I know it heats.

Defrost Thermostat - Replaced, original may have been good.

Defrost Timer - suspect, new one on order

Ice Maker - suspect

Water inlet valve - suspect
tjg79  
#8 Posted : Thursday, May 2, 2013 3:59:20 AM(UTC)
tjg79

My current observation is that the ice maker completes one cycle in about 24 hours producing ice cubes of about 50% normal size.

I'm pending arrival of the new Defrost Timer.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply