Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

10 Pages123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
robert72  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 3, 2008 11:05:59 AM(UTC)
robert72

Groups: Registered

I have a whirlpool side by side refrigerator that has stopped making ice. The refrigerator is approximately 3 years old. The problem is that it is not putting ice to the ice maker. I switched the plugs from the valve that puts water to the door. When I press the paddle on the door for water dispense it will put water to the ice maker. What do I need to be looking at for a problem part. Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Bobby

Correction on the model number it is GD5PHAXMS10
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 4, 2008 10:50:30 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hi Bobby,

Open the freezer door, press in the emitter flapper door (on the left side) to unblock the optics beam and view the diagnostics "status" LED on the right side.

Post your findings.

Gene.
knightto  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 4:37:02 AM(UTC)
knightto

I'm having the identical problem. When I 'unblock' the optical beam a red light flashes. A single LONG flash and then a short flash. This patter repeats..
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 3, 2008 12:51:49 PM(UTC)
Gene

knightto,

Looks like the optics gone bad. I need the complete model number of the refrigerator for more accurate advise.

Gene.
amollentze  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 7:25:43 AM(UTC)
amollentze

Hi guys
I am having the same problem.
My ice maker is nog making ice and I'm suspecting the infrared receiver.

I did this simple test:
I switch the ice mode off, and on.
Then I open the door and the infrared light stays red for a long time and then goes off. When I press the flap on the other side, the light stays off.

It doesn't seem as if there is any water in the water line going to my ice maker, at the back of the fridge.

I'm in the country, and no one here has the computer where you plug it in and it tells you what the problem is. I've been told to replace my pc board as that might be the problem. It could also be the solenoid, I'm told. No one has even mentioned anything about the ir receiver/sender that might be faulty.

Thanks.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 1, 2008 11:06:27 AM(UTC)
Gene

The first thing I would do in such situation is replace the optic boards. In order to provide the correct part number we need the complete model number of the refrigerator.

Gene.
pdp3000  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 19, 2010 4:33:54 AM(UTC)
pdp3000

my led light would blink twice then nothing for 1 sec. I relplaced the 2 optic boards and now my ice machine works, however, after you install the boards, you must turn the on /off swith from on to off and then back on to reset it. make sure you unplug fridge when changing these out.
earthstudy  
#8 Posted : Monday, August 22, 2011 3:02:34 PM(UTC)
earthstudy

My IR board appears to be OK. It's showing solid red beam when the flap is closed.

The water is dispensing to the door mounted water dispense, so does it mean that the water pipe at least to the back of the fridge is clear from blockage?

The black water hose to the ice maker can be squeezed easily...no blockage at least toward the end of the hose. Still no ice. Could you please advise as to what else could be wrong?

The motor agitates the arm properly, so no electrical issues with the motor.

Please advise.
Regards,
Gene  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, August 23, 2011 2:45:47 PM(UTC)
Gene

I'm assuming the ice maker does not fill up with water.

Swap the wires between the green and red solenoids on the water inlet valve. Depress the water dispenser release lever for a few seconds and check if there is some water in the ice maker.

If there is no water and the water line into the ice maker is not blocked, replace the water inlet valve.

If there is water, replace the ice maker.

- The water inlet valve Part number: AP3160649
roni1205  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, September 6, 2011 8:48:08 PM(UTC)
roni1205

Testing the optics is the initial step I took to find out the problem of my Whirlpool ice maker. I held the flap to unblock the beam and the LED light still blinked twice and paused for a second. From what I understand is the light should be on constant without blinking when the beam is not blocked. So does this mean the optics are bad? Is there a way to fix the optics without replacing any parts? The model no. of my whirlpool is GD5YHAXNL04. The manufacture date is 2006. How long are these optics suppose to last? Is it also possible that it's not only the optics that have gone bad? Thanks.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply