Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
john gilliom  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 26, 2013 11:43:38 AM(UTC)
john gilliom

Groups: Registered

Wife reported ice dispenser suddenly quit with burning electrical insulation smell. After trying to empty the ice bucket and finding a big chunk stuck in the mechanism, I assumed the motor had burned out. Bought a replacement and installed with no change in symptoms. I then referenced the technical specs and repair forums. Checked rocker switches for continuity. Not seeing any other active components, I ordered a circuit control board from you. Installed same and again no change(i.e., no ice dispensed).

I then attempted to trace the wiring harness from the control unit to the motor. The first thing I noted is that the wire color and the number of wires going to the motor do not agree with the model's schematic or documentation. I checked every wire leading from the control board/rocker switches with the motor cable end for continuity--no hits. Leads me to believe that there is an active component somewhere in between the motor and the control board. The motor runs on 110 volts DC and there has to be a rectifier somewhere. There is one built into the motor, but as there are only two wires connected to the motor itself, they would have to be the 110 Volt DC inputs. So the DC polarity shifter and the rectifier have to be on the other end of the motor harness and I can't locate the other end. If it is behind the freezer door shell, I can't figure out how to get to it. Even if they routed all the wires back to the freezer control unit, there is likely to be a wire that has burned through somewhere behind the door shell, given the electrical smell my wife reported.

This is longer than your usual threads, but I wanted to communicate all the typical checks I have already performed. If you have gotten this far, please check my logic for flaws, point me to accurate documentation if possible, and any suggestions you might have. Personally, I'm stumped.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 11:42:36 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Hello,

The model number you posted is incomplete or incorrect. Please verify and repost it.

Gene.
john gilliom  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 1:12:48 PM(UTC)
john gilliom

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
Hello,

The model number you posted is incomplete or incorrect. Please verify and repost it.

Gene.

Could it be because it is marketed under the IKEA brand but manufactured by Whirlpool. I have searched on the unit and in the user instruction manual and both say the model number is ID3CHEXWS01. I have a picture, but don't know how to attach it to this message.
Thanks for your reply.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 27, 2013 2:46:43 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi John,

The model number ID3CHEXWS01 is good. The model number you posted earlier was incomplete.

The power control board is located in the unit compartment on the back of the refrigerator. It supplies AC voltage to each motor in the refrigerator where it is converted to DC.

Before we will proceed further I would like to verify the part numbers of the motor and control board you installed.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Parts for Whirlpool ID3CHEXWS00 - AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
john gilliom  
#5 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2013 8:46:09 AM(UTC)
john gilliom

Hi John,

The model number ID3CHEXWS01 is good. The model number you posted earlier was incomplete.

The power control board is located in the unit compartment on the back of the refrigerator. It supplies AC voltage to each motor in the refrigerator where it is converted to DC.

Before we will proceed further I would like to verify the part numbers of the motor and control board you installed.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Parts for Whirlpool ID3CHEXWS00 - AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.

Thanks, Gene. Better info than I have gotten anywhere else. Part #'s, motor: 232580 Control board: 62508501. Think those are both Whirlpool numbers. On control board, I matched all numbers on the board with the old board.
If all the power for the motors come from the same source and the rest of the motors are functioning, then can we rule out the power source as the problem? My wife continues to maintain that the electrical smell came primarily from the freezer door area (tend to believe her since if her sense of smell was any better I could use her for hunting.
I will wait for your reply, but if the part no's check out, seems like the best hypothesis is a burned wire in the wiring harness in the door. If so, I would need the pinout's on the wiring harness feeding the door. I guess a more cogent question would be "can you even get into the freezer door shell?"

Thanks again for your help.
Gene  
#6 Posted : Friday, March 29, 2013 4:39:38 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome.

The motor has been redesigned by Whirlpool and the part number has been changed. The new Part number: W10271506
Part number: W10271506

The part number for the control board you posted does not come up anywhere. May be you mistyped it?

The power control board Part number: W10120824
Part number: W10120824

I would recommend to start the troubleshooting from testing the door switches and the dispenser control by running the refrigerator service diagnostics mode as instructed in the attached tech sheet, page 2.

You also can check the auger motor as instructed in another attached file.

Post the results.

Gene.
File Attachment(s):
Troubleshooting the motor (in-door ice).doc (348kb) downloaded 27 time(s).
john gilliom  
#7 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 4:17:44 PM(UTC)
john gilliom

You are welcome.

The motor has been redesigned by Whirlpool and the part number has been changed. The new Part number: W10271506
Part number: W10271506

The part number for the control board you posted does not come up anywhere. May be you mistyped it?

The power control board Part number: W10120824
Part number: W10120824

I would recommend to start the troubleshooting from testing the door switches and the dispenser control by running the refrigerator service diagnostics mode as instructed in the attached tech sheet, page 2.

You also can check the auger motor as instructed in another attached file.

Post the results.

Gene.

Thanks again, Gene.
On the motor, there are four pins on the connector, but only two wires feeding the connector. The pinouts and descriptions are the same for both the original motor as well as the replacement motor. I bought the one you pictured from Sears. I don't see how the motor could be the problem.
The part numbers on the logic card don't match because I assumed the logic and control board was the card mounted to the freezer door. Upon looking at the schematic and the picture you sent, it looks like it is the card labeled Gemini Flash on the schematic. Reading the schematic for the motor, gray/orange is on pin 1 and blue is on pin 7. Through various connectors it leads to P13 of the Gemini Flash. I assume that the LB/BK wire is the control signal to switch the 110 V DC polarity or to lock the voltage out completely. (scratch the latter because more than just the ice motor dispensor is locked out by the lock control from the front panel, right?).

If you can tell me where this card is located, I can at least make sure the wires are intact to the motor. If so, I don't see how it can be anything but the Gemini Flash module.
Gene  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, April 2, 2013 7:13:20 PM(UTC)
Gene

The Gemini Flash board is actually the main control board and is located on the back of the refrigerator. It is very hard to deal with Whirlpool because they use different names for the same parts.

BTW, I'm guessing the part you called "card" is actually what we call "control board". Try to use the same terminology. It will help us to better understand each other.

I still recommend you to run the service diagnostic mode.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply