Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
daminks  
#1 Posted : Sunday, March 10, 2013 6:02:06 PM(UTC)
daminks

Groups: Registered

My refrigerator is not cooling due to ice building up on the evaporator coils.I use a blow dryer to thaw out and it is fine for a couple of weeks.I would appreciate and help.
Thanks
Dan
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2013 4:25:39 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Maytag MFF2558VEB3 Refrigerator - AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

You shoe it as being less than a year old so I would get it repaired under warranty.

If for some reason you cannot do this try the following.

First remove the evaporator cover in the freezer so you can see the coils.
Do not let them de-ice.

If yes.
Manually force a defrost cycle, see the tech sheet. When the fans and compressor turn off, you are in defrost.

Now check the defrost heater to see if it is on.
Be careful you do not want to burn your fingers.
If the heater is on then the control board needs replacing, re: it is not automatically programming a defrost cycle.

If not on.
Unplug the unit.
Remove the wire for one side of the heating element from the wiring and measure it for continuity, usually around 30 ohms or so.

If the heater is OK
Remove one wire to the defrost thermostat and measure it, should be 0 ohms when frozen. Note that it opens just above freezing so must be frozen to check it. Also inspect it, if it is bulged at all replace it even if it measures OK. When at room temperature it should be about 56,000 ohms.

If both the above are OK then odds are the control board is toast.
File Attachment(s):
MFF2558.pdf (774kb) downloaded 61 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
daminks  
#3 Posted : Monday, March 11, 2013 7:36:54 AM(UTC)
daminks

Thanks for the information Denman. I will post a reply once I have figured out what part or parts I need and how the repair went.
Thanks
Dan
shib  
#4 Posted : Friday, March 27, 2015 9:45:10 AM(UTC)
shib

Hello Denman,
I had the same issue and used a youtube video to troubleshoot (freezer cold, fridge warm, constantly running) Model MFF2558VEB3. I defrosted the fridge and replaced the thermostat with a factory one yesterday. The fridge started back up and beside one short period the compressor and condenser fan have not shut off again. The fridge and freezer temperatures are in the okay range but there seems to be no reason why it won't shut off. Following your directions I put it in Forced Defrost Mode and it started making the muffled popping sounds it used to but THE COMPRESSOR AND CONDENSER FAN NEVER SHUT OFF. I started getting concerned when the compressor sounded like it was working harder and the line that is usually cold going into the fridge from the compressor was getting really warm from the heating coil.

Knowns:
-New thermostat should be good (I tested two others before I found this one that tested correctly before installing)

-Heater Coil/Element should be good (it tested as closed prior, and heard the "I'm getting hot in here against some ice" sounds in the forced defrost mode

Does this fall under the $200 "Control Board is Toast" outcome?

Any help is appreciated, I would rather not add more necessary wear and tear to this fridge.
denman  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 28, 2015 2:44:53 AM(UTC)
denman

I cannot say what the problem is.

You may not have given the unit enough time to reach the set point temperature.

Remove the cover in the freezer so you can inspect the evaporator coils.
They should have a fairly even coating of frost on them.
If yes, then give the unit more time.

Unless they are heavily iced/frosted over, it is not a defrost problem.

Also check to be sure that the condenser and evaporator fan are running.
shib  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2015 5:27:37 AM(UTC)
shib

Thanks,

After I did the forced defrost and became concerned I unplugged it to shut off the cycle, waited a few minutes and plugged it back in. After that it was cycling as it should (compressor on /compressor off most the time) since Friday. Both fans turn on as they should. If possible I will reserve pulling out the back panel again until I have to. This is a bottom freezer and a real pain to do.

Given this weird turn-around, do you think it may be fine, i.e. the FD reset something and it will work correctly now? -OR- Is this a symptom of a particular failing part that I don't know of?

I'm wanting to get this sorted out soon b/c I have a gas oven lighting issue I have to move on to.

Thanks for your help, it's nice to have a place to go for advice and DIY these projects.
denman  
#7 Posted : Sunday, March 29, 2015 6:56:38 AM(UTC)
denman

Yes unplugging it can resolve a problem but only time will tell.

The unit is electronically controlled so removing power will reset the electronics.

Note that if the unit is not on a dedicated wall receptacle it is a good idea to get an appliance surge protector. A 1000 joule unit is recommended but a 750 will do if you cannot find a 1000 joule unit. Placers like Home Depot etc. carry these. They stop voltage spikes from getting to the electronics.
shib  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, April 1, 2015 11:19:13 AM(UTC)
shib

So the fridge compressor and condenser fan were running as normal until about yesterday when I noticed they were not turning off (again). Today I had time to open the back panel in the freezer (pics attached). It is nowhere near as iced as the two previous times I pulled off the panel (but it has only been 4 days since it was last defrosted).

This time I unplugged it pulled the panel and took pics of coils, plugged it back in, did a short cycle Forced Defrost, the element heated up and compressor and fan shut off like it should (unlike last time) and now it is back to normal minus running the defrost cycle on its own.

(temp in fridge is always colder after doing this, than when it is constantly running)

To me it seems like something isn't triggering the defrost cycle. I can get the board on Amazon for ~$100, but want to make sure that is what I need to replace. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00LQD...amp;coliid=I6MBJU11CKW7B
shib attached the following image(s):
20150401_101429.jpg
20150401_101435.jpg
20150401_101438.jpg
denman  
#9 Posted : Friday, April 3, 2015 2:27:09 AM(UTC)
denman

I cannot guarantee that it is the board but can say that it is the most likely suspect.

One thing to note is that if the board is purchased from AppliancePartsPros, they will let you return it if it does not fix the problem. Most places will not let you return electrical parts.
Please see their return policy.
shib  
#10 Posted : Friday, April 3, 2015 4:54:26 AM(UTC)
shib

Thanks for all your advice. I appreciate it.

I would rather buy it from Appliance Parts Pro, but I'll have to go the other route so I can use the difference in cost for the oven parts I need.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply