Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MWarner  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 7:42:26 AM(UTC)
MWarner

Groups: Registered

It fills/drains ok.
It agitates ok.
It just doesn't spin.
I took the top, front, and bottom off and watched it go thru a wash cycle. Everything appeared ok, it just didn't spin.
I tipped it on it's side and checked the belt - it didn't look loose or nothing. (I had it unplugged for about a half-hour, and when I plugged it back in I did the RESET thing with openning/closing the lid - still no spin).
I don't think it's the lid switch, because I left the lid up when I did a cycle and used a screwdriver to hold the swith down - I could hear it 'click' and the motor turned on.
I also checked the little water level hose to make sure it wasn't plugged. I took it off and blew thru it - no problems.
I can turn it in ine direction with ease, not so easy the other way. Could there be something caught between the inner and outer basket? Would that even make a difference?

I should add that about 2 weeks ago, it stopped spinning so I did everything that I posted about and it started spinning, but now it doesn't spin again.
Is that, along with the fact that the motor runs ok but the belt doesn't turn, an indication of a bad clutch? (I have no idea.)

I'll apologize in advance if this a re-post from a few minutes ago. I typed this all out but it didn't appear to post.

Mike
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 8:12:12 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The reset procedure does not apply to this washer. Rotate the motor pulley by hand using both hands to keep it going in the clockwise direction (viewed from below). This should turn the large pulley, transmission and inner tub. You must keep it going to keep the brake released. It should be relatively easy to rotate. If it is very difficult to rotate, there may be clothing between the tubs, a bad tub bearing, or a problem in the very lower part of the transmission where the brake cam, cam spring, hub and lower bearing are located. If it all rotates fairly easily, then the clutch inside the motor pulley is probably slipping.

Eric
MWarner  
#3 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 12:56:58 PM(UTC)
MWarner

Is there a trick to checking between the tubs? I can't seem to spread them apart far enough.

Mike
MWarner  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 1:19:00 PM(UTC)
MWarner

Is there some trick to checking between the tubs? I can't seem to spread them apart far enough.

Mike
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Sunday, February 24, 2013 3:58:43 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Well, you have to take the top panel off the washer and remove the outer tub cover to be able to see down between the tubs but if there is something all the way down in the bottom, you would have to take the inner tub out. That requires removing the tub nut for which you will need a spanner wrench to get off. Getting the nut off can be problematic especially on one as old as yours.

Eric
MWarner  
#6 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 2:49:41 PM(UTC)
MWarner

Well, the motor pulley was easy to turn so I assume I have to buy a new clutch?
fairbank56  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 25, 2013 6:53:06 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

If you can rotate the pulley fairly easily in the spin direction with the belt, main pulley, transmission and basket all freely rotating with it but when operating under power the motor is running but the motor pulley is not rotating, then yes, the clutch is slipping. If there is still good clutch lining, you may be able to fix it by cleaning and lubricating the pivot points in the clutch assembly, otherwise it will need replacement. Here is a good video on how to replace the clutch with instructions on checking/cleaning your existing clutch at the end of the video.

Eric
MWarner  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, February 27, 2013 4:55:19 PM(UTC)
MWarner

Eureka!!!!

kinda

I took the clutch off & cleaned it up like in the video Eric linked to (thanks Eric) & it sorta works now. After I put the clutch back in it started to slowly spin. I sorta 'helped' it by spinning it by hand & it just took off.

I noticed, however, that the clutch is pretty worn down, so I don't expect it to last much longer. Oh well, what can you expect from a >10 year old washer?

Mike
MWarner  
#9 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 12:41:30 AM(UTC)
MWarner

It's something different this time. It's the same washer that I cleaned the clutch on. It's still spinning ok, but when it's ramping up to the correct speed on any spin cycle, it makes a horrendous noise (like billiard balls are down there somewhere). It's so bad that if people are over they ask "What on Earth is that!" - keep in mind the washer is down in the basement.

The noise only lasts a few seconds - just until the spin gets up to speed. Other than that, the washer is working fine.

Mike
fairbank56  
#10 Posted : Monday, April 1, 2013 6:29:31 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Can you post a video on youtube? With the front panel off.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply