Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Paul_illinois  
#1 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2012 10:06:53 AM(UTC)
Paul_illinois

Groups: Registered

Hello,

I searched the forum and didn't find an answer to my question, so here it goes...

Can I test/replace the heating element on an old GE Triton XL (GSD6100K03BB) without pulling the dishwasher? (which would require cutting the copper water line.)

Can I access the heater's terminals by removing the lower spray arm and filter bed?

I have included a photo for your reference.

Thanks!!!

Paul
Paul_illinois attached the following image(s):
GE_TritonXL.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, December 28, 2012 1:20:48 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi, Paul.

You will need to pull out the dishwasher to replace the heater.
Don't be afraid to cut the copper line (assuming you can turn the water off). Replace it with the new style flexible hose, so you'll be able to pull the dishwasher out in the future.

Simon.
Paul_illinois  
#3 Posted : Saturday, December 29, 2012 7:45:07 AM(UTC)
Paul_illinois

thank you, Simon.

Before I go thru that effort, I'd like to eliminate some simpler components first: is there a heating element relay or fuse near the front of the unit that I can test? (I have electronics experience.) Or, perhaps a self-diagnostic mode which would flag a bad relay/fuse?

The DW operates normally, except that the element does not feel hot during "Extra Hot" wash cycle nor during "Heated Dry" cycle. The element seems to function partially - during "Extra Hot" wash, the water feels about 100 degrees and I don't think that is residual heat from the hot water pipe, as the water heater is only set to about 120 and my limited experience with other dishwashers in "energy save" mode (heating element off) is that the initial water heat dissipates pretty quickly after a few minutes of washing.

Thank you.

Paul
Simon / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Monday, December 31, 2012 1:54:26 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

There is no separate relay or thermal fuse for the heater.
You can check resistance at the control board plug J2-3 to WR.
Should be 19.4-19.8ohm. If the resistance is OK - replace the control board

Part number: WD21X10215
Paul_illinois  
#5 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:57:22 AM(UTC)
Paul_illinois

thank you, Simon.

I pulled J2 this morning and the heating element = 15.5 ohms.

Also, I stumbled on a Triton tech service guide while searching the web for a user manual! I ran the "service mode" and manually triggered the heater. I could hear the relay (K3) click on & off, but the element remained cold, which confuses me: if the relay is funneling line voltage to the element, then it shouldn't be colder but hotter than spec. If nominal resistance is ~19 ohms and that is spec'd for 700W, then my element should be cranking out 900W if line voltage is reaching it - ??!!
Simon / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2013 5:00:35 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

I.

If you can check for 120VAC output to the heater at J2-3 and WR while running the test, you will know if it's the bad board or wire harness/heater.The "clicking" relay may still be bad.

Simon.
Paul_illinois  
#7 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2013 9:49:45 PM(UTC)
Paul_illinois

I wasn't seeing line voltage at J2-3, so I removed the circuit board again - but this time I unscrewed it from its plastic backing, and when I flipped it over - voila! As you can see from the attached photo below, the power leg of the relay was a powder keg! It burned a hole in the PCB and the metal contact disintegrated.

Rather than pay $100 for a new control board, I purchased an equivalent relay for $2.75, installed it (bypassing the bad trace with an insulated wire), recoated the board, and now the heater element grows toasty hot!! :D

I hope that my frustration can be of benefit to other techs & homeowners who run into this problem. If you are able to zoom-in the attached photos, you'll see:
[LIST=1]
  • the relay fault is not visible from the top of the circuit board
  • the relay internals are pristine and fully functional - device still "clicks"
  • the circuit board contains numerous cold solder joints (which I have since fixed), so apparently its "Quality Control - passed" stickers are meaningless. It is likely that the relay failure arose from a cold solder joint that presented too large a resistance for the high (6+ amp) heater element load.[/LIST]
    GE_dishwasher_relay_internals.jpg
    GE_dishwasher_relay_PCB.jpg
  • Simon / APP Team  
    #8 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 9:41:05 AM(UTC)
    Simon / APP Team

Thank you for shearing useful experience with everybody.

Simon.
    Paul_illinois  
    #9 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2013 9:45:35 PM(UTC)
    Paul_illinois

Evidently the forum shrinks photos, so I have re-posted some zoomed-in versions of those pics for anyone who's interested.

Simon - I am unemployed, so your assistance helped save me the expense of buying a new control board. I'd like to send you $10 for your effort - all I can afford right now. If you have PayPal, I can send it that way.
    GE_dishwasher_relay_internals_640px.jpg
    GE_dishwasher_relay_PCB_640px.jpg
    GE_dishwasher_relay_PCB2_640px.jpg
    Simon / APP Team  
    #10 Posted : Tuesday, January 8, 2013 12:21:14 PM(UTC)
    Simon / APP Team

Hello, Paul.

Thank you very much for kind words and your offer. The best pay for me is the fact that we where able to fix the problem and help all future customers.
    Happy New Year!

Simon.
    Quick Reply Show Quick Reply