Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
BDSchmidt  
#1 Posted : Saturday, December 8, 2012 7:05:56 PM(UTC)
BDSchmidt

Groups: Registered

My side by side that I obtained second hand ~6 yrs ago stopped cooling and was emitting a foul odor. Unplugged unit and examined the compressor/relay/capacitor area. Found the capacitor to check out good on capacitance meter, 20 uF. Found relay module to have an area of melted plastic that smelled like what we were noting. When removed from the compressor it rattled when shook. Took pictures and noted where the only 2 wires going into the module were located, a blue and a red. (Also has 2 blade connectors for the cap.)Tested pins on compressor and I have continuity on all, ( did not check resistance) but I take that to mean windings are all intact. Purchased start relay-cut off kit 5304410951. Installed cutoff on lowest single pin and relay on the upper 2 pins. Since no wiring diagram is found anywehere on or in the unit, I drilled out the brass rivet and opened the old burnt relay module. I have determined that my red wire attaches to the single terminal on the cutoff and that my blue wire attaches to one terminal of the cap. I apparently need to make a jumper, ( kit came with no instructions or jumpers) to go from the other terminal on the cap, to attach to what terminal on the relay? There are 2 on each side, ( one is very short and unusable). I have not yet checked but I am guessing that the 2 on one side are connected and same for the 2 on the other side thus really only 2 terminals, but still, which side do I attach the jumper from the cap to?Do I need another jumper somewhere? Does what I have written sound correct?
Thank you for any assistance you can provide!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.