Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rcb  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 3:29:38 PM(UTC)
rcb

Groups: Registered

Our ice maker in our freezer has stopped working again. i messed with it one night and somehow got it working but it has stopped producing ice again. i found this video and used a multimeter and got these results:

Icemaker Repair - YouTube

my results:

L + H = 72.3 ohms
L + M = OL or read 0.00
N + V = .202 k ohms

i have a auto multimeter optioni was getting a reading earlier in the night when for L + M but this last time i checked it would not give me anything.

do i just need to replace the ice maker assembly? Or are there additional tests that i can run to determine the exact problem?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 4:12:50 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

Pull the icemaker out and check for 120VAC at the quick disconnect plug (white to black). If there is proper voltage - replace the icemaker Part number: 4317943
Part number: 4317943

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Cabinet parts for Whirlpool ED5FHEXNS00 - AppliancePartsPros.com

Post the results.

Simon.
rcb  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 5:49:13 PM(UTC)
rcb

i pulled the ice maker and checked the voltage. it read 123V.

based on the results i got from the MM with the previous post, could there also be a problem with the water pump in the back as well? is there any other tests that i could do to verify that? i shined a light up the water tube and saw what appeared to be ice build up, so i took a hair dryer and put it on hot. nothing was coming out so i took a long drill bit and checked to see if it would move but it wouldnt so i think it is part of the water tube. i turned the freezer to the warmest setting and removed all items in the freezer to see what happens with that in the tube. it might be part of the tube but i just couldnt tell for sure.
Simon / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, December 4, 2012 9:06:36 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

If you look at the back of the fridge you should see the clear plastic tube going to the top into the icemaker fill tube.
Disconnect it and blow into the fill tube. if it's frozen - replace the water valve.
Use the attached link to test the icemaker.

Simon.
File Attachment(s):
WPL ice maker and ice dispenser.pdf (1,479kb) downloaded 21 time(s).
rcb  
#5 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 7:11:55 AM(UTC)
rcb

so even though i set the freezer to the warmest setting it never turned off or warmed up enough to see if the back tube was froze so i put the existing ice maker back together yesterday and the unit started producing ice again. i could hear the water pump cycling after the ice maker dispersed a batch of ice. it did this last time i looked at it but eventually it will stop making ice again. to me it seems like the water valve/pump is ok and the ice maker unit is the one having trouble or causing the problem. since the freezer never warmed up to a temperature that would cause the tube to the thaw (kept a bag of ice in there and all ice cubes stayed frozen) i am under the impression that the water valve is not faulty. Am i headed down the right path with my diagnosis and all things are pointing towards the ice maker as the faulty part?
Simon / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 9:27:21 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

If the water runs into icemaker the water fill tube is not frozen.
Replace the icemaker.

Simon.
rcb  
#7 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 11:14:38 AM(UTC)
rcb

ok, ordering a new ice maker now. just curious, what would cause it to start working after i disconnect the cable and re connect and then it stops all of a sudden. when it is making ice it the ice looks normal.

what is the part number for the water inlet valve?
Simon / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Monday, December 10, 2012 12:07:02 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

This is the water inlet valve Part number: W10408179
Part number: W10408179

The icemaker consists of several parts. Failure of any of them may cause the problem. You can reed more in the attachment I posted earlier.

Simon.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply