Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
wodag  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 9:35:19 AM(UTC)
wodag

Groups: Registered

I have a Kenmore Elite washer which stopped prior to final spin yesterday full of water. No issues with the machine leading up to this, When u pull out control knob in spin cycle, you get humming sound for 8-10 seconds and then silence. I emptied water and opened up machine. Coupler is intact. Put it back together....ran wash cycle. Unit filled fine and agitated for about 10 seconds.....then stopped. Same thing as spin...humming sound for 8-10 seconds then silence. I am hoping it is something besides motor/timer/control board.....any ideas? Dan
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 10:06:03 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

Disconnect the motor from the pump and transmission and see if that makes any difference.
First check the motor start capacitor (the rating is on it)

Part number: 8572720
Part number: 8572720

If it's good - use the amp meter and check the amp draw at the motor. If it's much more then rated - replace the motor speed selector switch

Part number: 3954573
Part number: 3954573

Simon.
wodag  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:26:30 AM(UTC)
wodag

Simon,
Checked continuity (ohms) on two capacitor lugs....no response on meter. does this mean it needs replacing?
wodag  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 11:48:55 AM(UTC)
wodag

correction....set meter to x1K Ohms and capacitor goes to zero and then slowly goes back to infinity. From what I know, this means the capacitor is OK. So I guess I have to figure out the amp test on motor....not sure I can use my multi-meter for that one as well. Does it make sense that a bad motor speed selector switch would also prevent the spin cycle as well? Did not know that that speed selection switch affected the spin.
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 12:57:37 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Sounds like something jamming the pump. Pull the pump off the motor and see if it will agitate if it's full of water, or spin if it's empty. The pump runs in both agitate and spin but different direction. You said it was agitating and then stopped. Bad capacitor would not cause this, it's not in the circuit once the motor's running.

Eric
Simon / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 1:28:20 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

Did you disconnect the motor from the transmission and the drain pump as I ask you to do and then turn it on?
Check if the motor shaft turns freely without the load.

Simon.
wodag  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:01:34 PM(UTC)
wodag

yes, the motor shaft operates and spins freely in agitate mode when I disconnect from pump and transmission
Simon / APP Team  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:05:17 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Check if the the drain pump not jammed.Also check if you can manually turn the transmission shaft in both directions.

Simon.
wodag  
#9 Posted : Tuesday, November 20, 2012 2:31:48 PM(UTC)
wodag

transmission shaft (turning at coupler) turns in both directions. Pump looks good....just the black 'baffle' inside - no obstructions
wodag  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, November 21, 2012 6:53:06 AM(UTC)
wodag

OK....ran the machine empty in spin cycle without pump attached....and it works ....shuts off at end of cycle. So off I go to get a pump. Question....how critical is the 'fabric' splash guard for the back of the motor which fits just forward of the coupler? After several motor removals and some moisture...it is in tatters. Replacement is $40....if it is needed, what is the purpose? Moisture protection for the motor? Heat protection for the motor? Almost feels like an asbestos-like material. Want to be safe. Thanks to Simon and Fairbanks for their help!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply