Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ChiKevin  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 30, 2012 5:07:19 PM(UTC)
ChiKevin

Groups: Registered

I've noticed a leak coming from bottom of dishwasher.

I pulled it out and ran it, it seems to be coming from the rear bottom of the tub.

You can see from the images I posted, you can certainty see where the gap is where the water has cleared out the sealant between the tub and a metal bar attached to the tub. Theres one image of the whole thing, one of the right side that is good and one of the left side that seems to be bad.

To me it looks like I have 3 options.

1. Unscrew the bar, apply some type of sealant and reattach.

2. Get a whole new tub.

3. New dishwasher.

Looking for any info on option 1. Type of sealant, is it possible, etc..

Thanks.
ChiKevin attached the following image(s):
2012-10-30_19-47-03_583.jpg
2012-10-30_19-47-20_820.jpg
2012-10-30_19-47-29_373.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2012 3:23:08 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
It is hard to tell exactly where the leak is coming from.
I do not think that it is leaking from under the bar.
The crud you see looks more like calcium deposits from a slow leak. The water evaporates and leaves the mineral deposits.
It is more likely that it is leaking from the pump seal and then rinning under the bar and collecting there.
You will not know for sure until you remove the bar and check under neath it.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
ChiKevin  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 31, 2012 4:21:37 PM(UTC)
ChiKevin

Thanks for the reply.

After digging into this a bit further, I've discovered this.

It is leaking under the bracket, but it's because there is a hole in the bottom of the tub. I found this recall pdf from whirlpool. After direction #28, there's a picture of the bottom of a dishwasher with a hole they tell the serviceman to look for. That is exactly where my hole is and the reason for the leak.

http://servicematters.wh...m/dm_safety/8178502a.pdf

I'm really only finding a few post of people having the same problem. It's from 2009 I think.

http://www.fixya.com/support/t185300-water_leak

So, is that repairable? They reference a loctite n27 steel quickset, but I don't think that product exists under that name anymore.

Any suggestions?
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, November 1, 2012 1:10:09 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]So, is that repairable?[/COLOR]
Yes it should be.

If you have the old style heater call Whirlpool and see if they will replace it or do something for you.

If it is just a small hole as shown in the recall.
Hopefully the bar will come off fairly easily.
Remove the metal bar and clean off the mineral deposits.
You will probably be able to scrape them off, try not to scratch the tub especially where the hole is. If they are stubborn , wet a folded over piece of paper towel with vinegar and then place this on the deposits and leave it for 15 minutes or so. This should dissolve/loosen the deposits.
Then get a small screw and screw it into the hole not quite all the way down.
You may have to drill the hole out slightly, just make sure that the threads grip OK.
Also use a stainless screw. Regular screws will corrode quickly due to the corrosive action of the soap.
Remove the screw and if it has created a ridge around the hole inside the tub cut or carefully sand this off.
Then put some silicone/sealant over the hole and screw the screw all the way down. Do not over tighten it as you do not want to strip out your screw hole.
I would use high temp silicone that they use for car engine gaskets etc. This should be able to resist the heat and the corrosive dishwasher soap.
It would also be a good idea to put some sealant onto the underside of the screw so it seals on both sides of the tub. This should also prevent the screw from backing out.
If the screw is too long. Thread it in to get the tub plastic threaded and then when you remove it cut some of it's end off with a dremel.

If you have the room underneath for the nut, a bolt & nut will also do the job and will give a better seal on the underside of the tub.Use a dab of sealant on both sides of the tub.

Leave the kick plate off for a week or so, so you can be sure that your fix worked.
Place a paper towel under the leaking area as a drip will show up better.
Tape it to the floor if you have to (if the motor fan blows it around).
Also check that the screw head inside the tub is not heating up and melting the tub.

FYI: It is a good idea to place a drip mat under the unit. These are available commercially. What it does is protect your floor. If you cannot find one get a baking pan or a plastic boot mat/tray that is large enough to cover the areas under the tub that may leak. I cut a inch or two section of the side wall out at the front (kick plate side) of the tray/pan. Then if you do get a leak water will show up in front of the dishwasher and you know that you have a problem. Often it will not cover the area under the water valve so I make one for that area out of tin foil.
This can help prevent a rotten floor under you dishwasher.

I started to give an answer and ended up writing a novel but I hope I did not confuse you or put you to sleep.
Hope it helps!!
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
MkBrennanMD  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 10, 2012 1:38:41 PM(UTC)
MkBrennanMD

The leak that your noticing at the end of the cycle may potentially not be the result of a seal at level of the dishwasher, but it may be from back pressure from a possible occlusion in the hose. The hose meets a valve in lower part "bucket" of the machine, and its tightly compression with clamps. I had the same problem you had. My water was leaking on the floor and underneath the machine, and there was some water left in the machine.

Solution: I Replaced Hose that ran from the bottom of the machine to the opposite end, which in my case, it was being drained into the food disposal.

Same issue & solved in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7uaA2NZKl0

The acute angle that accompanies the hose as it courses from the machine until a point where it can dispose of the materials, is ultimately the breeding ground for dishwasher by products and soaps, which accumulates over time and clogs it up. I think your leak is the result of back pressure.
charliesmith  
#6 Posted : Monday, December 26, 2016 8:15:54 PM(UTC)
charliesmith

You have to check the water inlet valve which feeds the water from the home’s main water line into the dishwasher and could be the source of a leak.

If you are looking for a professional to repair your dishwasher, then call at 647-557-8355 or visit here Dishwasher Repair Mississauga | Mississauga Appliance Repair