Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
busterhead  
#1 Posted : Friday, October 19, 2012 2:28:25 AM(UTC)
busterhead

Groups: Registered

For the past few weeks I have been having problems with my dryer not heating up. It will be fine for awhile (5-10 loads) and then no heat. If I keep restarting it, it would finally have heat again after approx 5 attempts. Then it would be good for another 5-10 loads. I had an appliance repairman come out. He said the dryer was fine, but the fuse for the dryer (in the fuse box) was bad and that it was 1/2 tripping (even though the lever is still in the proper position). Since he was not an electrician, he could not work on the wiring for us.

I didn't think the fuse problem sounded right since without touching the fuse, the dryer would eventually heat up again for me. However, the next several times i lost heat, I would shut the fuse off and then back on and the heat would return right away. So, I called an electrician. I told him the fuse was bad and needed to be replaced. After looking at the dryer he said that there was a "bad wire connection in the dryer outlet", which he fixed. He said this was causing the fuse problem.

And....the problem continues. Now I have paid an appliance repairman and an electrician and am still having intermittent problems with the heat. The other problem (related or not?) is that sometimes when the dryer is on sensor dry it will run continuously until I stop it (on 2 occasions I went to get the clothes out of the dryer 7 hours after I put them in and it was still going). The clothes will be dry, cool and tumbling. I don't know if there was heat during the cycle and it cooled after the clothes were dry or if there never was heat but the clothes dried after tumbling for so long. Looking for any suggestions....I can't keep paying repairmen who don't fix this
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 2:02:07 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts includes a wiring diagram.

That the timer would not advance in sensor dry is probably related.
In sensor dry the timer motor gets power through the heating coil when it shuts off. This is 240 volts and the resistor (wiring diagram) drops this voltage to 120 volts to run/advance the timer motor.
So if you loose the 240 the timer will not advance.

Unless you have electrical experience this will be a pain to troubleshoot.
Working with240 volts is dangerous so if you have no experience then I would not tackle it.

Since resetting the circuit breaker (I think you are calling it a fuse) gets the unit running I would have the breaker replaced.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
busterhead  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 20, 2012 7:17:50 AM(UTC)
busterhead

Groups: Registered

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Here are your parts includes a wiring diagram.

That the timer would not advance in sensor dry is probably related.
In sensor dry the timer motor gets power through the heating coil when it shuts off. This is 240 volts and the resistor (wiring diagram) drops this voltage to 120 volts to run/advance the timer motor.
So if you loose the 240 the timer will not advance.

Unless you have electrical experience this will be a pain to troubleshoot.
Working with240 volts is dangerous so if you have no experience then I would not tackle it.

Since resetting the circuit breaker (I think you are calling it a fuse) gets the unit running I would have the breaker replaced.

Thank you for the information. Basically, the appliance repair company and the electrician are both saying the other guy needs to fix it. I had the appliance repairman back out this morning. He determined it was the timer. I haven't gotten a quote yet, but he said it would be a few hundred. Yikes! I'll probably just buy a new dryer, if that is the case. Thanks!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply