Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Brian Mc  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, August 14, 2012 10:58:25 AM(UTC)
Brian Mc

Groups: Registered

Window AC unit, if plugged in and the display NOT powered on, the compressor runs. Turn the display on and the compressor runs all the time in "cool" with the fan running the whole time. Fan turns on and off, but the compressor runs continuous if in "energy saver", and the compressor runs (and thus cools) if put into Fan mode. It was intermittent, only occurring in "cool" setting at first and if we unplugged the unit for 10+ hours it would then work correctly for a couple of days before failing again. Then we switched from leaving it on "cool" at night (for the noise of the fan to help sleep) to "energy saver" and it worked like that for a couple weeks until the compressor would stay on all the time.

Unit was 1 year, 2 weeks old when this started (and we woke up to a 60* room inside while it was in the 80's outside.. brrrrr :eek:). Since the unit was/is under warranty, I called to have it fixed.

It's now 7 weeks later after waiting on Multiple companies to inspect, then return and fix (no one would ever return, not even a phone call follow-up), we finally had a tech take some pity on us and provide some real info. Parts are covered by warranty, but not labor ~ which is estimated over the cost of a new unit. This tech felt it was the 2 main control boards in the unit:

LG 6871A20418A Pwb(pcb) Assm., Disp., AP4440990 | AppliancePartsPros.com

LG EBR39283902 Pcb Assembly,main, AP4446870 | AppliancePartsPros.com

A previous tech mentioned in a round-about way that it might be on the 2nd of those 2. The display works just fine, though I have no clue what's controlled by which board. While we WILL replace both if needed (or this isn't answered definitively), being in a family with only one part time job supporting us, less money spent means less belt-tightening this month.

Also, does anyone have a link to how this unit comes apart? I'm fairly handy and will figure it out on my own, but it might mean the difference between me learning on the fly and taking 4~5 hours, or getting it completely swapped in 1 hour.

Thank you in advance for reading and/or helping.

Brian
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.