Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
docfiddle  
#1 Posted : Saturday, September 19, 2009 7:08:41 PM(UTC)
docfiddle

Groups: Registered

I'm trying to replace the gas coils on an old Speed Queen. I've looked at the other threads on my issue (dryer fires up, but then lights intermittently), and I'm pretty certain it's the gas coils. But I can't locate the exact replacement part, maybe because the dryer is 25 years old. The coil kits I've seen include K-series, old style, new style, etc. These coils are stacked on the gas valve and wiring harnesses plug into them, (they don't appear to have their own wires -- just the lugs the harnesses connect to). The full model number on the unit is HG4509L 9956 and the serial # is SC259228. I'd appreciate any help in identifying the right replacement part!

thank you.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 2:54:02 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Here is what APP lists as the part, see if this is what you need

Part number: AP4063307
docfiddle  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 4:55:21 PM(UTC)
docfiddle

Thank you very much for your suggestion! Actually, the kit you point to led me back into the catalog from a different direction and in a roundabout way I think I got much closer to what I needed. The part you suggest is linked to "Amana top-loading washer HG4509." I scrolled through the parts list for that appliance and found schematics for gas valves and assemblies. There I found an exploded diagram for the gas valve assembly that identified the Speed Queen coils (#9 and #17 in the schematic at Gas valve, ign, term & gas conv kits replacement parts for AMANA HG4509 | AppliancePartsPros.com. The problem is that the parts list for #9 and 17 includes different coils by different mfrs., Whirlpool and Speed Queen:

AP2401784 $24 made by SPEEDQUEEN, for #9 in the diagram, and #17 AP2401785 $12 made by SPEEDQUEEN,

#17: Main coil $24 by Whirlpool: AP3041626
#9: Secondary coil $24 by Whirlpool: AP3041625

and this kit with both coils: AP3094251 $15 by Whirlpool.

So I guess the question is: is AP3094251 gonna work in the Speed Queen? The coils look the same as the Speed Queen ones above.

Thank you again!
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Monday, September 21, 2009 5:08:43 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well, first of all let's assume that when the APP site identifies the Amana as a washer they really mean a dryer.

A lot of compatible parts are sold under the Speed Queen label. What I would do is if you have identified the part that looks like the right one is to place an order by phone with APP and make sure they confirm that it will work with your machine.

We are the repair folks, they are the parts folks (We are not connected with APP and are volunteers)

Hope this helps
docfiddle  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:02:49 AM(UTC)
docfiddle

Thank you, that's what I've done. It looks to me like the coils are simply bracketed to the top of the gas valve. The kit comes without instructions, but looking at the diagram and at the actual assembly in my dryer, it appears to be a straightforward coil replacement. I take it that the coils are not sealed or don't have gaskets underneath them?
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:17:25 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

I don't generally work on gas appliances, but as far as I know you should be fine
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply