Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Woodbubba  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 25, 2012 6:52:51 AM(UTC)
Woodbubba

Groups: Registered

The range began randomnly shutting down during oven use. Shut down occurs in both conventional and convection modes during both preheat and use. When the shutdown occurs the display panel goes completely blank and the oven shuts down though the top burners continue to operate normally.
The display will eventually return with flashing clock digits and the message to reset the clock. Once the display returns so does control of the oven and it may or may not work normally from that point on. It has shut down as many as three times during a baking event though it came back each time and we were able to complete baking our dish.

I've changed virtually every electronic component in the range associated with the oven's control; the 130C thermal cutout, the 110C thermal switch, the transformer, the user interface, the keypad, and the appliance manager. The thermal devices, the keypad, and the transformer were new components. The appliance manager and the user interface were remanufactured devices the manager came with a six month and the user interface had only a 14 day return option which is now expired. Since none of the components affected the malfunction I feel fairly confident the problem doesn't reside in any of these.

The only thermal component I haven't changed is the 230C thermal fuse p/n 9757807 shown on page 3 of the illustrated parts diagram. I don't find it on the wiring diagram anywhere and assume it is range overheat protection and is probably in the 120VAC line somewhere between the power input and the transformer. Since it is listed as a fuse I assume when it opens it is permanently open. The threads on this forum that discuss it seem to infer likewise. I guess there is an outside chance it is a resettable device which if true could be the source of my problem though the temps involved are never at the level when the shutdowns have occurred.

I'v also not changed the igniter board since it works fine when the control panel is working. I've not tried lighting burners when the control panel is dark.

Any suggestion short of removing the range and installing a new one? We spent a wad of cash on this monster and should have done a better job researching Kitchen Aid's reliability as we now find it is pretty much universally problemmatic.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.