Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
repair_addict  
#1 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2012 8:03:41 AM(UTC)
repair_addict

Groups: Registered

My Bosch dishwasher cleans fine but during the cycle I recently started smelling a burning smell, i think it's rubber or plastic. It doesn't smell like electric. This smell is not evident from the inside if I open the door during the cycle, only from outside. I can't find a service manual online anywhere. Anyone have the manual and/or a recommendation on what the cause could be?

s/n FD8602 00214

thanks,
matt.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

repair_addict  
#2 Posted : Monday, June 25, 2012 7:26:15 PM(UTC)
repair_addict

This ended up in the wrong forum, should have been in DISHwasher repair. Could someone move it for me?
repair_addict  
#3 Posted : Monday, June 25, 2012 7:28:58 PM(UTC)
repair_addict

I took the dishwasher out of the counter and found the bad smell coming from the lower right side where a motor is. I believe it's the circulation motor. From what I'm reading online it looks like a pretty big job to replace that. But I can get the part at a local store for $195. Does anyone have a step-by-step guide for replacing it? Is this a job worth bringing someone experienced in for I wonder?

Matt
tnull  
#4 Posted : Friday, December 27, 2013 4:00:45 PM(UTC)
tnull

Did you ever figure out what was wrong? Fix it?
repair_addict  
#5 Posted : Friday, December 27, 2013 5:53:26 PM(UTC)
repair_addict

Sorry, I should have come back in and updated this issue. Turns out when I pulled the dishwasher out to take another look before deciding to attempt this repair myself I opened the little cover where the electrical wires from the main feed tie into the dishwasher and found the Marretts had been melted, probably due to a spark inside sometime back. The dishwasher was still functioning so there was still power connected but some short must have been heating up the inside of that box enough to cause the plastic to melt a bit each time it ran. Glad I found that actually, could have started a fire I guess. Not sure why the breaker in the basement panel never tripped, I guess there was never enough load to trip it, just enough to heat the wire and melt it just a bit. Anyway, I stripped the feed wires fresh and twisted new Marretts on and it's running like new! Glad that was the problem, I don't think I was up to replacing the circulation pump. Never did find a good video on that either.
tnull  
#6 Posted : Saturday, December 28, 2013 9:42:26 AM(UTC)
tnull

Thanks for your follow-up info. Not to cause any undue alarm, but I found out that there was a voluntary recall on a number of models manufactured between 1999 and 2005. Here's a link to check your model (mine wasn't included):

http://www.bosch-home.com/us/support/safety-notices/dishwasher-recall.html

Interesting about the Marrettes ("wire-nuts" down here in the States). My junction box wasn't even covered, and the connections were barely made. I did what you did, strip them and connect them better. Prior to my smell appearing (in the lower right), I was getting erratic readings from the controller. It would still complete a cycle and wash the dishes, but it would take different lengths of time, and countdown to "1", stay there a few minutes, and then bounce back up to "13" and count down again. It seemed like it was more erratic than it had ever been right before the smell arrived.

Still testing here. I'll post with a follow-up.
Frankdiabetes  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2014 2:36:56 PM(UTC)
Frankdiabetes

Tnull- I just wanted to thank you for bringing that recall to my attention. Our dishwasher was making a burning smell when running, and ours was affected by the recall. We will be getting a new dishwasher soon!
repair_addict  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, May 14, 2014 5:46:45 PM(UTC)
repair_addict

Wow, I never new about the recall. Thanks for sharing that. But I did check my model number and it wasn't listed in that series. So I guess it was a different part that was causing the overheating in their case. The recall press release wasn't very clear on exactly what it was. Glad you got yours working tnull, and glad you are taking advantage of the recall Frank.

matt
mcthiel  
#9 Posted : Thursday, June 5, 2014 7:39:26 PM(UTC)
mcthiel

This exact same thing just happened with my dishwasher. We smelled a burning plastic smell, but none of the dishes seemed to smell, so we checked the electrical connection box and sure enough one marrett was burned up pretty good.

So, first of all thanks for the follow up, as it saves me a repair man call.

Second, is there anything I can do to prevent the marrett from burning up like this again? Could this have caused a house fire?
Hanic  
#10 Posted : Saturday, June 3, 2017 10:31:32 AM(UTC)
Hanic

Originally Posted by: tnull Go to Quoted Post
Thanks for your follow-up info. Not to cause any undue alarm, but I found out that there was a voluntary recall on a number of models manufactured between 1999 and 2005. Here's a link to check your model (mine wasn't included):

Link to Bosch Dishwasher Recall

I had the same problem (smell of melting plastic), using your link I checked my Bosch model and Ser # and mine was part of the recall,,, possible fire hazard. Called Bosch and they will repair no charge.
I owe you.