Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
bixatx  
#1 Posted : Saturday, June 23, 2012 8:20:34 AM(UTC)
bixatx

Groups: Registered

I have purchased the ice door repair kit for this Kitchenaid, but cannot get the front trim removed from the ice/water dispenser to get access for the repair. Several posts have said "unsnap front housing with a flat head screwdriver in the slots on the bottom of the trim" but I don't find any slots and cannot determine how this is attached by any of the manuals/parts diagrams.

Any help getting past step 1 is appreciated.

since the replacement panel is $171 on this site, I'm trying to avoid that cost!

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

richappy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2012 2:24:19 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
Slide out the grill from the fountain and you should see screws that secure the trim. If not, you will need a putty knife to pry off the trim.
bixatx  
#3 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2012 8:37:14 AM(UTC)
bixatx

I've removed the drip tray; there are no screws. Have also used a putty knife to attempt to gently pry off the front trim, but felt that there was an attachment point for the front trim that is not clear to me.

my fridge has a stainless front, with a metal panel trim around the upper and lower panels. this metal trim abuts the dispenser trim and makes it nearly impossible to insert a putty knife or screwdriver into the lower trim area to try to pry off.

I've yet to find a parts diagram or service manual that clarifies this.
richappy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, June 24, 2012 11:40:10 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
The last one I worked on, I was able to work a putty knife in the seam between the door and dispenser trim just inside the fountain. I pried out while pushing the trim down, that worked.
dmouton  
#5 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 7:59:01 AM(UTC)
dmouton

For the sake of future viewers (since, hopefully, you solved your problem 4 months ago when you posted it):

the dispenser cover itself has three plastic slid-in tabs across the top, and two shorter snap-on tabs along the bottom; so what you're trying to do is snap the bottom off and away from the door, so you can push it slightly toward the top of the freezer and free the tabs across the top (then pull the entire cover away from the door).

Generally, you can slide a putty knife along the bottom edge of the dispenser cover from the sides (between the plastic of the cover and the metal of the door) and snap out the bottom that way.

If not, you can remove the four screws that hold the freezer door handle in place, slide out the lower stainless panel on the bottom-front of the door, which exposes the screws holding the top panel retention trim piece (which is attached just below the bottom of the dispenser cover). Removing the panel retention trim should allow you to slide your putty knife between the dispenser cover and the door, and snap it out and away.

Hope that helps!