Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Gordon Casey  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, January 22, 2008 6:20:16 PM(UTC)
Gordon Casey

Groups: Registered

My mother's 3 year old Triton tall tub dishwasher, which is run about 3-4 times per week has already been pronouced uneconomical to repair by a GE technician because the bearings in the motor are worn out. Other than our obvious disgust with GE considering such a short product life span, we are trying to decide what to do next. One option they're not considering is paying the market repair cost, they'd rather purchase a new dishwasher, and my mom has found a KitchenAid she likes.

I used to rebuild Whirlpool belt-drive washers for a hobby (60 of them in 4 years) so I am quite confident that I can swap the motor/pump assembly for a new one, and still have a wholesale parts account that I can use vs. paying retail for the part. I am considering installing a replacement motor for her to save her the replacement cost.

Rather that learn the best way to do this by trial and error like I did on the washers, can someone enlighten me on the best replacement procedure to fix mom's dishwasher so she doesn't have to spend the $700 on the KitchenAid? Based on the noises my GE is making (it's very similar) my dishwasher may not be far behind hers in failure, so I may be doing this twice in the near future, or we're buying two new machines.

If anyone can share any advise on fixing these beasts, I'd be very appreciative. THANKS!

Gordon
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.