Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Ken591  
#1 Posted : Monday, June 4, 2012 12:55:17 PM(UTC)
Ken591

Groups: Registered

Hss251fmcww

My Hotpoint side by side fridge is not cooling well… The freezer stays cold, all food in freezer is solid as rock and the icemaker is full to the top and works perfectly. I did some reading here and checked a few things. I removed the back panel from the freezer and the coils have very little build-up and the defrost light checks fine. I put everything back together and moved to fridge side. I removed the cover over the damper door and checked and the opening is clear between freezer and fridge, but the door does not seem to stay open very long. When I moved the fridge control from 4 to 5 the door did power open and when I pressed the door switch to simulate the door being closed the fan in the freezer started and I could feel nice cool air being blown in. However, it I close the door and check it an hour or so later, the damper door is closed while the temp is still warm in the fridge… between 45-55. If I leave it several hours (5-6 hours or overnight) the fridge will get down to 40-42 but as soon as you open it a time or two, it will not get down to that temp again during the day. I have tried all the settings from 9 down to 1 (9 being coldest setting) and it does not help. 4 seems to be the best setting for at least a little cooling.
Does the control rotary switch house the temp sensor and control the damper door?
I also cleaned the condenser coil in back of the unit, but it did not seem to help anything.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, June 5, 2012 2:05:16 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Unplug the refrigerator. Remove the main control board cover (on the back of the refrigerator). Unplug the J1 plug at the control board. Set your ohmmeter on a highest scale and measure the resistance between the wires connected to the J1-5 & J1-1 and the J1-5 & J1-2 terminals.

At the same time measure the temperature inside the fresh food compartment, using a refrigerator thermometer.

Post the results.

Gene.
Ken591  
#3 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2012 10:59:25 AM(UTC)
Ken591

Hi Gene,

I really appreciate your help on this... unfortunatly the fridge is at my cabin and I will not be going back there till Aug. I was hoping to take the most likely part/s with me to fix while there. However, if we cannot establish that most likely without this info, I will make these checks and post the info here in early Aug. If you have an idea of most likely, I would be interested in taking them if they are not really expensive.

Thanks!

Ken
Gene  
#4 Posted : Friday, June 22, 2012 1:13:15 PM(UTC)
Gene

Hi Ken,

This test is to check the temperature sensor in the refrigerator. The part is inexpensive and you can order it before you'll go there.

- The thermistor Part number: WR55X10025
Part number: WR55X10025

Gene.
Ken591  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 8:13:25 AM(UTC)
Ken591

Hi Gene,

Wanted to say thanks for your help and give you a follow-up on what I found. I did change the Temp Sensor, but it did not help... Got a new main board and changed it and it worked, but the temp still really did not get very cold really barely stayed about 40-42, but would get down to 38 overnight when fridge was not opened. Found on the back of the original main board, there was a poor solder on one pin. I re-soldered that pin and decided to give it a try to see what that did so I reinstalled the original board. Wow, it worked great and the 8 setting for the fridge keeps the fridge at 37-38 all the time and the 9 setting keeps it at 33-34 steady.

I would feel better having the new board installed for reliability, but it really did not control the fridge nearly as well as the repaired original. I hope it lasts.

Again thanks for all your help and advice!

Ken
Gene  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, August 28, 2012 1:02:18 PM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome Ken. I'm glad you were able to fix it. It is very strange that the new control board did not work properly. What is the part number of the new board?

Gene.
Ken591  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2012 4:47:16 AM(UTC)
Ken591

Hi Gene,

The new main board is a WR55X10942, appliancepartspro number: AP4436216.

I left it sitting in the box on the top of the fridge, forgot to grab it on the way out. Do you think it is bad? wonder if they would exchange it?

Have a great day,

Thanks,

Ken
Gene  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 29, 2012 1:55:14 PM(UTC)
Gene

Ken,

If you did follow the installation instructions for the new board and it did not work right, APP will definitely exchange the part or refund it after you return the part. You have to talk to their customer service.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply