Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fredk99  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2009 10:32:07 AM(UTC)
fredk99

Groups: Registered

My dishwasher is not draining. Everything else works OK. I removed the drain hose from the sink and there were no clogs. I ran a fish tape through the drain hose and found no obstructions.

I also tried starting a wash cycle and then pressing the two buttons to end the cycle and drain the dishwasher. This results in the same problem with the dishwasher making a buzzing noise and the water will NOT drain. The buzzing noise will continue until the dishwasher door is opened.

Reading through postings I have found on the web, the problem could be that something is stuck in the impeller of the drain motor. Where do I find instructions on how to remove and inspect the drain motor?

It is also possible that the motor is not receiving the correct voltage. How do I diagnose and repair that?

It is also possible that the control panel went bad. How do I diagnose that?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fredk99  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 22, 2009 9:59:07 AM(UTC)
fredk99

Groups: Registered

Since nobody sent a reply. I am posting an update for anyone else with the same problem.

I had a repair person come out. I found out that you can inspect the impeller of the drain pump from inside the dishwasher. First remove the screen at the bottom and manually remove as much water as you can. Then there is a plastic cover over the impeller at the bottom of the inside of the dishwasher. The cover is held in place by a couple of screws. Once the cover is removed, you can see if anything is jamming the impeller. You can also spin the impeller by hand to see if its stuck.

I didn't know you could inspect the impeller without pulling the dishwasher out of the cabinet. If you know what you are doing, it only takes a minute to remove the cover of the impeller. So, do this work yourself before calling a repair person. It can save you over $100 if the only problem is that something got stuck in the impeller.

In my case, there was nothing in the impeller. However, after the repairman spun the impeller by hand a few times, the drain pump started working again.

The pump is probably going out, so I am having the pump replaced, but the part needs to be ordered and it wont be installed until next week. So, I can test the pump this week to see if it goes out again.
Gene  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 23, 2009 11:32:56 AM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Thank you for sharing this information with us.

By the way, if you know how to handle a simple tool then this part is pretty simple to replace yourself and you can have the part as soon as tomorrow. The instructions are attached to the reply.

- The drain pump Part number: AP2802385
Part number: AP2802385

Gene.
File Attachment(s):
Drain pump removal.doc (630kb) downloaded 244 time(s).
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply