Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
coaster  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2009 8:01:53 AM(UTC)
coaster

Groups: Registered

My icemaker stopped working last night. The unit is 14 years old and due to its age, perhaps it just quit working. Water does dispense from door so I believe the icemaker is getting water. A few months ago, there were some black "paint-chip looking" chards in the ice. I forgot I had put a carbon water filter on the rear about 10 years ago and had never changed it. I changed it last month and had no problems (foreign objects in the ice) since. The icemaker appears dead...no noises coming from it at all. 1. How do I test to make sure the icemaker itself is bad? 2. Is it possible there is a foreign object (paint-chip looking piece as described above) stuck somewhere in the mechanism? 3. Is there anything else I should look for or test for and how would I test it?
Thanks,
Coaster
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Frank / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2009 9:55:50 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Originally Posted by: coaster Go to Quoted Post
My icemaker stopped working last night. The unit is 14 years old and due to its age, perhaps it just quit working. Water does dispense from door so I believe the icemaker is getting water. A few months ago, there were some black "paint-chip looking" chards in the ice. I forgot I had put a carbon water filter on the rear about 10 years ago and had never changed it. I changed it last month and had no problems (foreign objects in the ice) since. The icemaker appears dead...no noises coming from it at all. 1. How do I test to make sure the icemaker itself is bad? 2. Is it possible there is a foreign object (paint-chip looking piece as described above) stuck somewhere in the mechanism? 3. Is there anything else I should look for or test for and how would I test it?
Thanks,
Coaster

The chips you speak of sound as though the IM mold is flaking apart. If you take the front cover off the IM, you should see some test point holes. If you have a voltmeter, go to L and N, you should read 120v. If you do, you will probably need a new module. If you need a new module and mold, you'd be better off replacing the entire IM with a new one.

Part number: AP2984633
coaster  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, September 8, 2009 5:11:38 PM(UTC)
coaster

Originally Posted by: Frank / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
The chips you speak of sound as though the IM mold is flaking apart. If you take the front cover off the IM, you should see some test point holes. If you have a voltmeter, go to L and N, you should read 120v. If you do, you will probably need a new module. If you need a new module and mold, you'd be better off replacing the entire IM with a new one.

Part number: AP2984633

I bought the part locally and it took only 10 minutes to replace. It's still not working. Thought it would kick in immediately. Any tips on what might be the problem. Seems to me there's no power to the icemaker. Is there a waiting time for the unit to chill, perhaps? You were right about the flakes from the mold. I was reading some other posts and some people were asking about the lift arm. It can only be installed in one position right? Or does it need to be turned a certain way?
Frank / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2009 3:54:22 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Originally Posted by: coaster Go to Quoted Post
I bought the part locally and it took only 10 minutes to replace. It's still not working. Thought it would kick in immediately. Any tips on what might be the problem. Seems to me there's no power to the icemaker. Is there a waiting time for the unit to chill, perhaps? You were right about the flakes from the mold. I was reading some other posts and some people were asking about the lift arm. It can only be installed in one position right? Or does it need to be turned a certain way?

Won't kick on immediately, has to get cold first. There is only one proper hole for the arm to go into.

Was there voltage to the old IM? Hopefully by now it's started to make ice for you.
coaster  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2009 3:46:32 PM(UTC)
coaster

:) woke up this morning and there's ice in the tray! Thanks for your help.
Coaster
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply