Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
vnhs54  
#1 Posted : Saturday, May 12, 2012 12:14:21 PM(UTC)
vnhs54

Groups: Registered

I purchased this dishwasher in 2004. I have replaced both spring tension rope assemblies with new improved parts and the machine operated normally for quite a long time until the new door unlocking problem started about one year ago.

The new door problem is: During wash cycle, the door "pops" open slightly and the machine cycle stops. The door does NOT fall down to the fully open position like if one or both of the spring tension ropes had broken.

I have researched this problem and realize that it is common for my KitchenAid dishwasher and may be related to some maladjustment or failure of the latch-door assembly or the latch striker plate on the top of the tub above the door.

Please let me know if there is some kind of an adjustment to the latch-door assembly or if I need to get a replacement part(s) in order to repair the problem. If I need parts, please let me know the part numbers so that I can order them from you on your web site.

Thank you.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Appliance Spy  
#2 Posted : Sunday, May 13, 2012 6:46:51 PM(UTC)
Appliance Spy

Try adjusting the striker catcher. It's the part that the door locks onto. Bending it up slightly may fix this issue. If you're door lock is going bad, you may have to replace this. Dishwashers are hardwired and I recommend 100 percent that if you can't find the breaker to it, you do not repair the door latch yourself to avoid any possibility of electrocution especially on a stainless. Try making the latch adjustment first, and also make sure the door latch isn't tripped already. You can undo this with a flat head screw driver if the door is stuck in the lock position.
vnhs54  
#3 Posted : Friday, May 18, 2012 10:31:31 PM(UTC)
vnhs54

Thanks for your suggestion. Bending the striker UP would not have solved the problem. If anything, bending the striker DOWN to cause the latch to lock into the striker would possibly help. However, my striker was well adjusted and had no need to bend in any way.

However, THE PROBLEM NOW SEEMS TO BE SOLVED! At least, after 4 wash cycles, the door has not popped open and stopped the cycle. What I did was to slide the washer out of the cabinet about half way and adjusted the front legs to raise the front end of the washer about 1/4 to 3/8 inches HIGHER. Then I used a small carpenter's level to make sure that the front end of the washer was level with respect to the floor. That was OK so no further leveling adjustments were necessary. Then I cleaned the rubber door seal of any accumulated debris that had not been rinsed out earlier. Then, I checked all of the TORX screws that hold the interior stainless steel skin to the door frame and I FOUND THEM LOOSE, especially those near the bottom of the door (nearer the hinges). I tightened them all except the two at the top that were still snuggly tightened. Finally, when I removed the two wood screws from the two small brackets that attach the dishwasher to the countertop, I discovered that the installer had only correctly installed one bracket to the dishwasher. These brackets are made to slip into a slot on the top frame of the dishwasher and secured in place by bending the sheet metal tabs at the end of the brackets so that they stay in place. So,because of the installer's mistake or oversight, that one bracket had slipped out of its slot on the frame and was doing nothing to firmly attach the dishwasher to the countertop (an absolutely necessary installation requirement). The other bracket was also not firmly attached to the countertop because a very short wood screw was used to attach it to the countertop wood frame and it had loosened considerably. I had to secure both brackets correctly to the dishwasher and I replaced the short wood screws by using wood screws that were about three times the length that were used by the installer. Since the brackets each have three screw holes, I also added an additional long wood screw to each side to insure a very firm and durable bracket attachments to the countertop wooden frame. Now, the dishwasher seems to be working OK but when we need to replace it someday, I will be shopping for one that has an old-fashioned positive mechanical locking handle on the door. In the meantime, I must remember to check all of those TORX screws and the countertop attaching brackets once-in-a-while. This KitchenAid dishwasher was the most expensive top-of-line model available 7 years ago and has been a pain-in-the-ass for me since we bought it. We replaced an older KitchenAid that served us well for 25 years that had the mechanical door lock but was making a little more noise during the cycle compared to the newer ones that our neighbors and friends had gotten before we bought the new machine. I wish that we could still be using the old machine now.
#4 Posted : Friday, September 29, 2023 7:11:37 PM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
We have a KitchenAide WhisperQuiet dishwasher KUDPCR02WH2, built in 12/2006, with a door that occasionally popped open near the end of its cycle.

Typically, I would find this after having started the cycle just before going to bed, and the next morning, finding a blinking LED, door slightky open, and cold wet dishes. Shutting the door and hitting restart would cause it to finish the cycle.

Tonight I heard it pop open, and immediately closed it, and had hit start.
Within a couole seconds it popped back open. This happened repeatedly, which made me suspect it was heat related. But none of the usual causes of such trouble seemed evident (faulty latch, bad seal, ...), except that the latch clearly wasn't holding as tightly as when it was started-cold.

Then I noticed that the upper tray, which was in the upper position, was noticeably tiltid downwards towards the front, and I suspected it was putting outward pressure on the door.

In playing with it, I noticed the load on the upper tray was heavy in the front and light in the back. I changed the balance by moving glasses and bowls from the front to the rear of the tray, and saw after i pushed it back in that it no longer tipped forward so much.

I then closed the door, hit start, and voila! It didn't pop back open!

Problem solved!