Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
apowers225  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 7, 2009 10:47:28 AM(UTC)
apowers225

Groups: Registered

Yesterday I washed 2 loads fine then set in a third load and ran out to do some errands. When I returned home 1 hour plus the washer was still running. I noticed that it was at the same setting (Super or #14) on the load selection dial.

I lifted the lid and the lid switch is still intact and I was able to press it down and the machine would come back on. I then was able to manually move the selection dial and the machine would act normally. Is my timer swith completely bad or is it repairable? I have not seen this problem looking through the other posts.

Help would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2009 11:11:29 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Sounds like the timer, but let's get a little more info.

1. Do you have the problem in all cycles?

2. Where exactly in the cycle does it stop?

3. When you manually advance the timer, does it continue to advance or does it stop where you put it?

I suspect I will still come back with a recommendation to replace the timer but since it is somewhat expensive, let's see a little more detail on what you have.
apowers225  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2009 12:03:51 PM(UTC)
apowers225

The short answer to all three questions is it stays where ever you put it. I only ran my loads in large size, single rinse,and on the super wash. After advancing the timer it stays where I put it too. Not looking forward to an expensive repair, but I guess it would be cheaper than a new unit. How much does the timer cost?
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2009 12:23:34 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Well, it would seem to be the timer

Here is your part

Part number: AP3100292
Part number: AP3100292

It is not too expensive, but if you want to try something before you order it, the round item on the back is a small motor that powers the timer. This motor is likely your problem. You can disconnect the leads and make sure you have good electrical contact to the timer motor and good clean contact on the timer connections.

Not likely to fix it, but worth a try.
apowers225  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2009 4:54:57 PM(UTC)
apowers225

Thanks for the help! Is it ok that the part is for a Whirlpool and not a Kenmore? I am assuming yes but I don't want to be wrong.
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, September 9, 2009 6:07:07 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Yes, no problem. The 110 at the beginning of your model number is the code that means this machine was made by Whirlpool. The other major manufacturer for Sears is Frigidaire, in which case the model number would start with 417.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply