Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
joe pro  
#1 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2012 4:25:45 PM(UTC)
joe pro

Groups: Registered

I have a Kenmore electric range model#790.90112011 that I've had for less than a year. The power went out this morning and when I pushed the clock button to reset it, the whole board fell through the center of the cowling. The plastic ears that fasten the control board to the cowling have broken off. I believe the part number for the board is 316455420. The question is, I wonder if I spend 120.00 plus, is this thing going to break again, or did they reinforce it. I never use the oven much, and I think I may be wasting my money buying another board. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I called Sears, but they said it's out of warranty. Thanks again.....Joe:confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, May 7, 2012 8:06:19 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

At this point I don't think the manufacturer changed anything in the structure of this part. You just have to be careful.

Thank you.

Simon.
Woolseydip  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 19, 2015 9:31:47 AM(UTC)
Woolseydip

The same thing just now happened to my Kenmore. We are a senior couple, only cook occasionally, and are fanatically gentle with our appliances, but it only lasted two years. There is plenty of strength in the metal bracket, but they managed to design it where all the stress from touching the screen goes directly to those four flimsy, brittle plastic screw tabs. The strength in the brackets themselves is completely useless. I bet they paid the guy who engineered that a bonus for all the new display units they would sell. Kenmore: NEVER AGAIN! And I'll duct tape the thing in place before I'll pay a hundred and something dollars for a whole new display unit.
denman  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 20, 2015 3:22:48 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
FYI: Kenmore does not make anything.
If your unit is a 790.XXXXXX then it is actually made by Frigidaire.

Call Sears and see if they will do anything for you.
Also it would not hurt to do some searching using the model number to see if this is a common problem or perhaps part of a recall.

Find your model number - AppliancePartsPros.com
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Pdxfox  
#5 Posted : Friday, November 24, 2017 7:03:42 PM(UTC)
Pdxfox

I had the same issue with the plastic ears breaking from panel being pushed through. I was able to repair by making an L bracket out of a small piece of sheet metal about 1.5” long by 3/4” width, bend into an L then drill holes to align with where the plastic ear bracket was. I first smoothed out the area with a small saw to cut the broken plastic piece, then drill holes into sheet metal L bracket, then drill a small hole into the plastic housing for your L bracket to screw into to. That’s it! Repair worked great and is stronger than the original, cost about $3 in screws and small piece of sheet metal from hardware store (cut to your size using smetal snips and bend with needle nose pliers).

http://i67.************************/2n8sww.jpg

UserPostedImage
Pdxfox  
#6 Posted : Friday, November 24, 2017 7:05:13 PM(UTC)
Pdxfox

rogerharness  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 17, 2019 11:57:25 AM(UTC)
rogerharness

United States

Had the same problem of the control panel pushing through when pressing the clock button. Tried using glue but didn't hold. Ended up placing a washer under each screw where it broke from the panel. Worked like a charm.
#8 Posted : Sunday, September 19, 2021 6:37:39 PM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
I cut a clear plastic produce box and taped it over the button and it works fine, can still see the crack but I think it helps it not crack further. Clear packing tape might do the trick or help it last xDXSSfn
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply