Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
rjhornak  
#1 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2012 10:40:17 AM(UTC)
rjhornak

Groups: Registered

I have an older (30+ years) Maytag Washer, Model # A308. I called the local Maytag authorized repair and they sent a technician. He believes he knows what the problem is, but cannot remove the agitator. Everything he reads and others he has spoken with say to remove the lock screw holding the agitator to the shaft. There is NO screw to be found on the agitator. On this site, a schematic of the washer says that "stop rings are used with agitators prior to the 2-6748 lock screw and washer assembly." So how do I get the agitator off? Any help would be greatly appreciated (by the Maytag repair guys, as well!)
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, April 20, 2012 2:11:08 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

The agitator must come straight up.But because of the age it stock. The tool you need is called AGITAMER. If you can find it , then most likely you'll be able to remove the agitator.

Good luck.

Simon.
richappy  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 21, 2012 1:38:46 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
You don't need an agitamer. Put a thin rope under the agitator and use a board to pry it off.
30dodgeboy  
#4 Posted : Saturday, January 12, 2013 1:39:45 PM(UTC)
30dodgeboy

I tried the rope and board method... without any luck. Lifted the machine off of the floor and still no go.

So I welded up a 4-legged puller, whose legs fit into the agitator and are held inwards with a hose clamp. Bridged across the top of the machine and pulled on it with a 5/8" threaded rod. It took quite a bit of torque, but finally came apart. The 15494 stop ring was still in good condition and relatively soft, but would not let go without a fight.
tweezy29  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, June 12, 2013 7:41:19 AM(UTC)
tweezy29

I want to comment on the first and last entries in this thread. The first identifies his machine as a-308, as is mine. The last entry using a rig and successfully getting the agitator out, doesn't identify his machine. On another thread, and in a diagram, I was led to believe I had a set screw holding the agitator in place. At first my agitator resisted my bare hand efforts to pull it out. Then somehow it started coming out easily. I find that my agitator has I think 8 small plastic nubs down towards the bottom but still near the center, and these snap into places on the driving shaft. I see no place for a set screw, and no evidence of a retainer spring, though I don't know where to look for the retainer.
My machine was leaking from the seal between the top and bottom of the tub. I have some misgivings about spending about $70 for a new seal and retainer on a machine I have had for 25 years after buying it second hand for under $100, maybe under $70.
On my last test, the agitator rose up and was pushing the water over the top of the tub, so I couldn't tell if I had sealed the previous leak. I haven't yet tested after seeing that maybe I hadn't pushed down the agitator till I heard the snap; also some of the plastic nubs are worn away.
Why can't they make these things to last?
#6 Posted : Friday, October 28, 2022 4:00:10 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Simon / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Hi.

The agitator must come straight up.But because of the age it stock. The tool you need is called AGITAMER. If you can find it , then most likely you'll be able to remove the agitator.

Good luck.

Simon.

Quick Reply Show Quick Reply