Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Boomn4x4  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, April 11, 2012 5:35:37 PM(UTC)
Boomn4x4

Groups: Registered

I have a GE dishwasher and recently it stopped washing. It would fill with water, but the gets would not throw any water. I called a repairman out and he quickly diagnosed it as a stuck pump. The simple fix was to take the cover off and with a screwdriver, manually turn the pump over to free it.

He told me that this particular problem is very common in GE dishwashers. He said that the pump is a low torque pump and the rubber in it tends to bind up. The official diagnosis was "sticktion"

Fortunately I watched him fix it because 3 days later it did it again. Now I'm concerned. Is there a more permanent solution to this problem then to have to stick a screw driver in it anytime it stops? Is there a way to lubricate it? I'm half temped to just call GE and demand a new pump, but if its that big of a problem, I'd imagine there would be a good chance it would happen again.

Any assistence would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, April 12, 2012 2:03:34 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
A model number may help others help you.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Boomn4x4  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, May 22, 2012 3:38:31 AM(UTC)
Boomn4x4

Groups: Registered

The model number is
GDWF100VBB

Problem has been ongoing since I posted this. I had been taking the kick plate off and manually turning the motor over to get it to run, but its really starting to get annoying. And last night, while not paying attention, we could smell a burning odor coming from the washer. I would assume that this was because the heating element was hot, but no water was flowing over it. I tried to get it going again, but it would. Assuming a thermal overload tripped on the pump from it trying to start, I let it sit for a half hour and tried again. Fortunately, it worked and I got my dishes clean.

I'm fed up at this point. I got in touch with GE and they told me to run citric acid through it to clean the pump out, but I'm not liking that answer.

I guess my question is now, how difficult is it to replace the pump itself and is there a NON-GE pump that anyone could recommend that would replace it as I'm worried a new OEM pump will have the same problem.
denman  
#4 Posted : Friday, May 25, 2012 2:17:43 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for GDWF100VBB models | AppliancePartsPros.com

It is not that difficult to replace.
You may have to pull the unit out some from the cabinet so you can disconnect the clamps.
Also remove the sump cover so yu can get as much water out of it before starting a sponge and/or a turkey baster can help here.

I think the only pump available is from GE.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply