Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sumrtyme  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 27, 2012 11:35:17 AM(UTC)
sumrtyme

Groups: Registered

Hi, Newbie here. This is a 3 yr old bottom freezer/top fridge unit. I noticed yesterday that the fridge was becoming warm and I felt no cold air anywhere. The freezer on the other hand was still ice cold, no melting, however there is a large amount of frost and ice formed over the vents at the bottom of the freezer. I chipped away the ice and most of the frost. From here I have NO idea what to do next. I've read many similar posts and advice, however, I have no knowledge or what I'm looking for. My manual us useless! and doesn't show anything in terms of a list of parts or what the panels on the back are. I noticed several people recommending taking off the back panel, checking the thermostat, the defrost unit. I have no idea where those are and what's safe to take apart. I will call a repair person if I have to, but it's not in the budget so I was hoping to tool around a little bit myself first. The air in the freezer is blowing out as normal and when i pulled the fridge from the wall the air is blowing out the back vent as well. And I can hear the fan in the fridge working, just no cold air. There's a white panel across the bottom, can I remove this safely? What ever happened to fridges from back in the day that were built to last...oh yeah, the economy! Any help would be great, I can not afford to buy a new fridge after only 3 years with this one. Thank You!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 4:29:27 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here is the parts breakdown
Replacement parts for Amana AFD2535DEB REF - BOTTOM MOUNTS | AppliancePartsPros.com

Here is a manual which should help.
http://appliancejunk.com/forums/index.php?action=downloads;sa=view;down=409

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

[COLOR="DarkRed"]several people recommending taking off the back panel, checking the thermostat, the defrost unit.[/COLOR]
This is to check for a defrost problem. It will effect the fresh food section first and later you will see the freezer temperature rise.
The compressor will run constantly as it tries to reach set point.
If you can see the evaporator coils are frosted/iced over to the point that the evaporator fan cannot pull air through them then you have a defrost problem.
Try forcing a defrost cycle. Be careful that you do not burn your fingers on the defrost heater.
If the heater runs then odds are you need a new control board (jazz)
If it does not comer on then you have to check the heating coil and the defrost thermostat for continuity using a meter. The heater should be around 20 ohms and the defrost thermostat 0 ohms when frozen. Note that it opens (infinite ohms) when just above freezeing

[COLOR="DarkRed"]There's a white panel across the bottom, can I remove this safely?[/COLOR]
Yes it should just un-clip

Although I do not think this is your problem it is a good idea to pull the unit out from the wall, unplug it and remove the rear cover and then clean the condenser coil and fan etc.

Since you are a noobee to fridge repair here is a good site with basic info.
http://www.applianceaid.com/frig.html
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
sumrtyme  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 28, 2012 8:34:00 AM(UTC)
sumrtyme

Groups: Registered

Thank You for all the information!!