Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mikopiko  
#1 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 7:26:22 PM(UTC)
mikopiko

Groups: Registered

Not sure about the model, but I am sure this
White-Westinghouse washer uses a reverse motor -- one that spins one way to agitate and another way to spin and drain,

After removing the belt to the transmission, so allowing the motor to spin freely, it just hums and remains still till I turn it by hand in either direction. Then it seems and sounds to work fine in either direction. Firsts thoughts were the capacitor was bad, (~200mF, 110V), Have no current way to test it, but replacing it with a new one didn't help. :confused:

My guesses are, somehow, the motor-starter became bad. Switching from "Normal" to "Gentle" (lower speed) confirms that the motor works, it just won't start.
Any ideas? Thanks for your fast help! :)

Migo.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

mikopiko  
#2 Posted : Saturday, March 24, 2012 10:15:49 PM(UTC)
mikopiko

Groups: Registered

Update / edit / follow-up to my previous post:

I do have now the model code of this washer:
Model: LA650A - White-Westinghouse washer
Which seems also to be known as: 27" washer - Part No. 131107000

Also, I've got to test the starter-capacitor with a digital meter,
As explained in this post: How to Check a Start Capacitor
According to this, the capacitor seems to be in good shape.

I've access to the: "F" Electrical system of this washer. (I could scan it and post it, if requested).
From it, checking the "Motor Start Winding" directly from the motor terminals,
(which in this case it's where PURPLE and ORANGE terminals connect to the motor),
shows to the meter as: Open Circuit, when expecting it to have winding continuity.

(!)Well, the diagram shows there is a "MOTOR SWITCH" in series with this start-winding, but on the diagram shows as NC - Normally Closed, so I am wondering now if could be that this internal switch went wrong and somehow got stuck and remains open?? :confused:

--> Additional info: I know this washing machine was heavily over filled, several times, and also
Non-low foaming soap was used. These made the transmission belt to slip but well, usually after some minutes of drying, it just catch up and worked fine. Wondering if this "mix", with time, could have cause the switch to stick onto its open position(?). Centrifugal switches "sound" to be acting just fine. (with "manual" starting as explained above).

Next... will try to get this motor fixed. And hope this machine will run again!
Hope this post helps someone else.

Please comment...
Thanks!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply