Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
EagleRunner  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:30:12 PM(UTC)
EagleRunner

Groups: Registered

In door ice maker is not making ice. Plenty of water pressure available at water dispenser. Ice dispenser is operational, but no ice in ice bucket. Where do I start looking? Is there a service manual that shows how to access the ice maker in the door? Diagnostics available to help isolate the problem?

Thanks for any assistance.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

EagleRunner  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, March 20, 2012 10:42:29 PM(UTC)
EagleRunner

For clarification:

When I stated that there is plenty of water pressure at the water dispenser, I was speaking about the water dispenser in the door for dispensing water to a drinking glass. Not sure about water to the ice maker.
Simon / APP Team  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 11:25:43 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hello.

If the ice maker is full with ice - replace the ice maker.

If it's empty you need to check the water inlet valve.
At the back of the frig locate water valve, switch around electrical plugs and press the water dispenser lever.
If the ice maker starts filling up, go to the next test.

Please post the results.
EagleRunner  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 12:15:59 PM(UTC)
EagleRunner

I cannot see if the ice maker has ice in its trays. This ice maker is in the door and the only visible access I have is the air vent supply to it. There is no way to see what might be in the tray. Got any ideas how to get access to the icemaker without tearing the door apart first?
Gene  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 2:06:01 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Do you know how to access the ice maker on-off switch? If you do, check the position of this switch. Make sure it is on.

If you don't know how to do it, check out the Owners manual (page 14).

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for Whirlpool GSF26C4EXW00 REFRIGERATOR | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
EagleRunner  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 5:04:29 PM(UTC)
EagleRunner

I checked that switch the first day. Yes, it is 'ON'. I flipped it to OFF and ON several time to be certain it was fully set to 'ON' position. Still after 24 hours, there is no ice.

Next step is to check the valve. I haven't heard any water running into the ice maker for a couple of days now but I do have water on demand to the water dispenser in the front of the refrig.

Not sure if the ice maker is going through its cycles either. Any way to determine this without tearing into the door just yet? I would like to determine if the problem is the ice maker or something else before tearing into the door.

Thanks!
Gene  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 8:26:14 PM(UTC)
Gene

Locate the dual water inlet valve on the back of the refrigerator. Swap the wires between the two solenoids. Use an insulated wires if the terminals have different size.

Press the water dispenser lever for a few seconds. Put your fingers into the ice maker to check if there is some water.

If there is no water, replace the water inlet valve.

If there is water, post it and we'll proceed with the further diagnostics.

- The water inlet valve Part number: AP4562055
Part number: AP4562055

Gene.
EagleRunner  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, March 21, 2012 10:09:04 PM(UTC)
EagleRunner

Found the problem! :eek: There were a few ice cubes jamming the ice maker, preventing it from completing its cycle. Removed and made sure there were no other cubes jamming the works and soon afterwards heard the ice tray empty into the bucket; a sound I haven't heard in days. About 30 minutes later, when the freezer cooled back down, I heard the ice tray fill with water. Should have new ice in about an hour. :)

Got any idea what may have caused the cubes to jam the way it did? Is this indicative of a problem starting to surface with the ice maker or just one of those flukes that sometimes surfaces? :confused:

Unfortunately without being able to see what and how the cubes were jammed in there, it is difficult to explain. I only could reach in with my hand, through the bottom of the ice maker cavity, and feel with my fingers. The ice cubes were jammed at the top of the ice maker. Luckily I have long fingers and a not so fat hand!

Back in business! Thanks for your help! ;)
Gene  
#9 Posted : Thursday, March 22, 2012 11:51:27 AM(UTC)
Gene

You are welcome. We are glad you were able to fit and it was nothing serious.

I have no clue what can cause it. Let us know if it'll happen again.

Gene.
fredschulz  
#10 Posted : Saturday, November 23, 2013 7:18:08 PM(UTC)
fredschulz

Originally Posted by: Simon / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Hello.

If the ice maker is full with ice - replace the ice maker.

If it's empty you need to check the water inlet valve.
At the back of the frig locate water valve, switch around electrical plugs and press the water dispenser lever.
If the ice maker starts filling up, go to the next test.

Please post the results.

I have this same problem. Ironically it was this thread that allowed me to fix my icemaker a few months ago as I had ice jamming the maker from completing its cycle.

I thought that might be the problem this time. It is not. I removed the two screws on the icemaker casing or hood and removed that after removing the Ice bucket/reservoir. This allowed me to see an empty Ice try. I manually filled the tray to see if there might be something that would happen. No Luck. Now I have a tray of frozen ice due to me filling it manually but no movement from the mechanism that would kick it out.

I saw the part about switching the plugs on the water valve. I was able to remove the white plug to the red side but cannot, for the life of me, remove the gray plug to the green side. That said I can't perform the test you suggested.

Does the plug have a latch I cannot see?

Also. I have water to the water dispenser. Can the water in the hose to the ice maker be frozen if the water to the dispenser is not frozen? I was thinking about letting the whole freezer thaw hence the water hose would thaw as well in case it was frozen and go from there. I just did not want to try that if the fact that the water dispenser working proved the hose to the ice maker was not frozen.

Aloha and Mahalo for any input.

Regards,

Fred Schulz
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply