Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gillespie45  
#1 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2009 9:27:02 AM(UTC)
gillespie45

Groups: Registered

I noticed my 80 series Kenmore electric dryer model# 110.62802101 smells like lighter fluid while running the other day. Upon further examination it seems to be coming from my heating elements.
I opened the dryer up and checked for debris in the elements but found it clean. It does look like the element may be burning the canister that it is sitting in. Is there something that regulates this heating element and how would I check it for getting too hot.
The elements seem to be visually coming on and going off at correct intervals. I have not taken a temperature reading to verify though. any suggestions would help.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:30:24 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Wow, difficult to give good advice on this one.

I would suggest you take out the element and wipe it down as best you can, examining it at the same time for any problems. If the problem persists you can change it out, as it is not an expenseive part.

Good luck.
Frank / APP Team  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 6:33:52 AM(UTC)
Frank / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Originally Posted by: gillespie45 Go to Quoted Post
I noticed my 80 series Kenmore electric dryer model# 110.62802101 smells like lighter fluid while running the other day. Upon further examination it seems to be coming from my heating elements.
I opened the dryer up and checked for debris in the elements but found it clean. It does look like the element may be burning the canister that it is sitting in. Is there something that regulates this heating element and how would I check it for getting too hot.
The elements seem to be visually coming on and going off at correct intervals. I have not taken a temperature reading to verify though. any suggestions would help.

By chance have you done any painting or staining in the house lately?

Dryers draw room air into them and if you have any smells or fumes lingering, they can sure make them smell funny when they hit the heat source.
gillespie45  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 12, 2009 8:20:28 AM(UTC)
gillespie45

( I did think of this) I have a wood shop in the other room That I was clear coating wood in. there is a door separating these rooms this could be the cause I am not 100 percent convinced though. Also I have a 2nd dryer in the room that is not smelling like lighter fluid while its running. I have inspected the coils of the heating element their is 1 section that looks like it has been burning hotter than the rest. Thank for the help it is appreciated.
altogirl  
#5 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 6:19:13 AM(UTC)
altogirl

I just had this experience and had moved the dryer 2 weeks ago into my new place. The FUSES on the back that connect the dryer plug to the machine had ONE BURNED connection. I will replacet he plug, and of course, while back there will remove the kickplate and vacuum inside.
sidfink43  
#6 Posted : Monday, April 18, 2011 9:10:42 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

Great, glad you are fixing the problem and thanks for the info and the update!
#7 Posted : Monday, November 28, 2022 3:44:23 AM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Originally Posted by: Frank / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Originally Posted by: gillespie45 Go to Quoted Post

By chance have you done any painting or staining in the house lately?

Dryers draw room air into them and if you have any smells or fumes lingering, they can sure make them smell funny when they hit the heat source.

This was my exact issue. I wondered if it might be the staining but I wanted to verify it. Thanks!
#8 Posted : Friday, March 22, 2024 5:40:04 PM(UTC)

United States

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
My dryer doing the same thing and I have redone my cabnets and stained a table. Is it just a smell that eventually will go away or do I have something to worry about
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply