Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TimTool  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2012 8:35:39 AM(UTC)
TimTool

Groups: Registered

The ice maker leaks water from the right hand side of the ice maker when water is filling. Only get about 4 cubes of ice, the remaining ice forms glaciers on the drawers. :cool:

I removed and checked for leaks or cracks. It appears the water is leaking from the bottom right hand side of the ice maker, near the thermal loop but again, no visible signs of a crack.

Any ideas where to specifically look for a leak or should I look at a possible water fill problem, i.e. too much force from the water entering the ice maker that causes it to overfill?

See picture attached showing where the water appears to leak. Although this is at the bottom of the ice maker, so no telling.

Tim
TimTool attached the following image(s):
IMG_0992.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Jerry / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2012 9:13:38 AM(UTC)
mattt

Hello Tim. I have seen this 3 or 4 times in the field. The only fix for this is either replacing the ice maker assembly or the ice mold part of the ice maker assembly. Since we don't deal with Sub Zero parts at the time, we cannot provide any parts, but the part number you can get from the manufacturer is [4200520]. Good luck!
TimTool  
#3 Posted : Friday, March 9, 2012 3:30:17 PM(UTC)
TimTool

I tried replacing the ice maker, however the water continues to pour out around the right hand side of the ice maker when filling.

- Could this indicate the water inlet valve is sending the water too fast?
- Could this be another issue?

Tim
Jerry / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2012 3:03:18 AM(UTC)
mattt

Hello Tim. Is the icemaker level? Have you replaced the water valve? Is the water pressure too high? Just some things to consider. Let me know. Have a great day!
TimTool  
#5 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2012 8:13:49 AM(UTC)
TimTool

The ice maker is level.
I have not replaced the water valve.
The water pressure, in general coming from my RO system feeding the ice maker, has not changed however, could the water valve itself, if it is defective, allow more pressure NOW then it did in the past? Could this be the culprit?

Tim
Jerry / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2012 8:35:20 AM(UTC)
mattt

Hello Tim. The water valve cannot change the water pressure. You never mentioned before that you have a reverse osmosis system. This always causes an issue with water valves. You see, the water valve has no springs inside it to aide in its' closure. It is closed by water pressure only. When there is low water pressure going to the valve, it makes the valve close too slowly which results in an overfill. I'll wager this is the root of the problem. as far as I know, there is no way to resolve this short of bypassing the RO system to restore full water pressure to the valve. I've had customers say at this point, "But I want my water to be filtered." Well as I understand the model you have, you have a filter on board the unit so you're in effect filtering filtered water. I believe this is the root of your overfill. If I can help anymore, please let me know! Have a great day!
TimTool  
#7 Posted : Saturday, March 10, 2012 8:51:29 AM(UTC)
TimTool

Great diagnosis!

Thanks very much.
Tim
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply