Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! You can not login or register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gaylemike  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2009 1:32:40 PM(UTC)
gaylemike

Groups: Registered

This Hotpoint was working fine yesterday and today I went by it and there was a sound like a relay clicking and the front light indicator for the ice/water was going off/on with the cadence of the clicking. I pulled off the back metal panel to see what looks like wires and a few relays. I felt what I perceive are the relays but can't really tell anything but feel similar vibration with the clicking but can't tell which of the 3 relays it is coming from. Any ideas on how to check on it.

Thanks so much in advance.

Mike
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

applianceman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2009 5:48:58 PM(UTC)
applianceman

If the clicking noise is constant meaning it doesn’t pause a few minutes between clicks the main board is bad. GE Refrigerator Repair Guide
gaylemike  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 8, 2009 9:03:26 PM(UTC)
gaylemike

Oh.....that was quick......and now for my stupid question.....I'm assuming that GE builds Hotpoint or viceversa but the remedy seems like that's for sure the problem. Thanks, now hopefully that part will be in stock at our appliance store. Is there any advantage to order the part from any appliance store online or not?
richappy  
#4 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2009 9:42:09 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I would pull out the motherboard and check the power relay solder connections, they tend to get unsoldered.
If ok, this parts site has the best prices, motherboard AP4297272, fresh food thermistor AP3185407
gaylemike  
#5 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2009 10:20:17 AM(UTC)
gaylemike

OK thanks for the info. I really do appreciate it.

Mike
applianceman  
#6 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2009 10:50:44 AM(UTC)
applianceman

Richappy

I would like your opinion. I work on these refrigerators a lot and see the solder joint loose like you say. But I have been a little skeptical about soldering them back only because I have seen a lot of these relays bad without the burnt or bad solder joint.

I just worry about callbacks but if I could save my customers money it would be good. But on the other hand if the joint comes back loose or the relay goes bad soon after my service call that wouldn’t be good either. I mean the customer is looking for the best price but is also looking for a reliable repair.

The guys at GE tech-line say not to do this but they never want you to do things like repair boards and such.

What kind of success rate do you get out of soldering this joint back?
richappy  
#7 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2009 10:58:22 AM(UTC)
richappy

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 2 time(s) in 2 post(s)
I have soldered 4 of them, had one call back that I was able to fix with re- soldering. I soldered one last week and half the pc board track was etched away from arking and I told the customer best to get a new board, but he opted to take the risk. So far it is still ok.
On these boards it is best to pull the board out, carefully clean the board and resolder making sure the joint is well soldered. On the last board, I could have taken it back to the shop and patched the board with a piece of wire to branch over the bad spot.
applianceman  
#8 Posted : Sunday, August 9, 2009 11:59:04 AM(UTC)
applianceman

Thanks for the info. I may give it a try next time I come across this problem. I have repaired boards like this in the past just not on refrigerators.
gaylemike  
#9 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2009 7:27:47 AM(UTC)
gaylemike

I was looking at the other forum with GE refer having the same problems and even though my refridge-freezer is a Hotpoint I pulled out the Main Board and I noticed the same exact part number that one tech said was a free replacement with the unit less than 3 year old. Mine is just under 3 years, barely. There are two burnt places on it in the middle up close to the top so I guess the re-soldering isn't the problem. After seeing all the problems listed on that board I'm wondering if Hotpoint warrants this GE board WKKT model No.0158-00-04

The Hotpoint Model # Hss 25 GFPH ww
Ser.# VG 221639
GE/Hotpoint Board #WKKT model No. 0158-00-04

Thanks......this forum is awesome.

Mike
applianceman  
#10 Posted : Monday, August 10, 2009 8:07:17 AM(UTC)
applianceman

I don’t think you have regular warranty on that board but sometimes they have special warranties if they are having a lot of problems with something. Call GE to find out 1-800- gecares or 1-800-626-2000 to find out if your model is covered.